black palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
happy holidays to all,
my questions is, are there any secrets to turning black palm. i've just came across some and have see some beautiful pens made of it.
speed? should i treat the wood before? it is dry. even smells like dirt when cutting down to blanks.
all you help is appreciated.

laurie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Teniko

Is it crosscut because if it is it is a bear to turn without it blowing up. Otherwise I turn as normal except I leave it a little proud for a bit more agressive sanding because the grain wants to tear out a bit more than other wood imho. If you have trouble with tear out, some med visc ca will help fill the voids. Good luck, Dave

JimGo

Yup, good advice - light cuts, especially as you get closer to the right size, and sand to shape. If you have the chance to stabilize it, that's probably a good idea.

Good luck with it, it makes beautiful pens!

GregD

Stabilize it!!!! That's the key to black palm. Use light cuts as you get close to size then sand to final size. Prayer, lots and lots of prayer.

LAKingsFan

Black palm was a tricky wood to turn sometimes. I felt turning faster was better than slow. Also, use SHARP TOOLS! The above posters are correct when they say "leave some wood and sand to finish. I would use a sanding sealer on the wood also. I use ca and then sand down to stabilize. If you get tear outs...Use some black powder mixed with some thick ca glue and rub it into the void. Sand and finish. It comes out real nice.

20051223184618_black%20palm.jpg
<br />.

By the way...Nice to finally see a fellow Los Angeles, CA turner here

Ron

thanks for all your info. here's what i came up with. i soaked the peices in a rotten wood preserver and let it dry and turn them down before i got too nervus and then, with your advise, sanded to final shape and i like them. but they are for quick gifts for tomorrow. next set i'll try the cross cut. post a pic later.
MVC-546F.jpg

laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom