Black Locust???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

I got 4 large trunk sections of a Black Locus tree today and before i cut it up, i was wondering if it makes good pens or if i should go for the bowl approach... Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

cross cut black locust is nice... The blanks I've turned have a fair bit of chatoyance when cut cross grain. It's hard as a rock, and it finishes beautifully.

Jmhoff10500

Sweet! i definitely have enough that i could post it in the giveaway section after i cut it up... Even better, the tree was a dead standing tree so everything is already dry!

markgum

it's pretty hard stuff, your best bet would be to send it to me to take care of for you. :biggrin:
Pens, bowls, both are awesome from Black Locust.

dankc908

If you want, I'd be willing to try this on a Sierra and/or a Slimline to see what might work best for you! Just bein' nice here <GRIN>!

Jmhoff10500

I think I could getcha a piece... And if it's nothing great, please don't waste a kit on it... Just pm me your address and when I cut it up I'll keep you guys in mind... If anyone else wants some, I will post some in the giveaway thread when I get it cut up...

Jmhoff10500

Thank you so much, its people like you that make the world a better place, if only we were more landons...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just PM me your address!

I would like to try and keep this thread as far away from the classifieds as possible so from now on if someone wants some, PM me or just wait till i post it in the classifieds. Thanks!

Jonathon, being the kind soul that I am, I'll take it off your hands so you can have more time with your familiy.

Tullyamo

I must live in one of the worst parts of the country... We have apple trees, unless you are a tourist looking for a pen crafted by *Genuine Washington State Apple Trees* you can't reall do much with the apple wood other then use it to get the shape of the pen you want and practice with. Anywho, if you would like to get out and fish, hunt, spend time with the family, I suppose I could help share your burden. IF YOU WANT APPLE WOOD, lol I have a ton of it..... Cut down 16 trees last week and have more on the way. No burls, curls, or anything fancy in this tree.:rolleyes:

DurocShark

I'd love to help out with some of that black locust!

And apple... I love working with apple. Mostly plain, but a joy to work with. And smells wonderful!

bitshird

Black Locust is very nice for bowls, and things, I Don't recall seeing any pens made from it. use caution it's listed as one of the sensitizers mostly Nasal and Mucous membranes

broitblat

I have done a few pens and a bowl from black locust and enjoyed working with it. It has some nice color and grain and finishes nicely (except for the chunk that I lost from the bowl when a knot came out :))

Enjoy.

-Barry

As you cut that log up, save all the sawdust. Put it in baggies, and send each one of these bedding puppies a bag. Seeing as how they are sooooo willing to help you out. ;-) That way they could each make there own blank , and you get rid of the sawdust. lol rotflmao

ThomJ

Glad to hear black locust is good, I have a tree being cut down June. Since its dead, I'd rather have it in the shop & not on the shop roof

broitblat

I got 4 large trunk sections of a Black Locus tree today and before i cut it up, i was wondering if it makes good pens or if i should go for the bowl approach... Thanks!

I've done both pens and bowls from Black Locust and had some good results from both. I think you'll enjoy.

-Barry

GaryMGg

Jonathan
I'm pretty late to the game but I've always wanted to turn some black locust.
If you've still got any and want to trade for some other hardwoods, I've got quite
a selection.
I have nearly 2000 BF of hardwoods including Black Walnut, Black Cherry, sapelle, bloodwood, Tigerwood, osage orange, hard maple, curly maple, and more....probably
one of the reasons I don't look to trade often.

Thanks,
Gary

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Here is a Black Locust Bowl to get an idea what the wood looks like turned. All it has on it is a some Linseed Oil, once this has a couple days to cure, I'll follow up with some rubbing varnish.

Attachments

• Black Locust NF01.jpg
    Black Locust NF01.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom