Black finish wearing off pen parts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

akh223

I have several barons where the black trim ring on the cap has lost the black finish and you can see the metal underneath (brass, or copper maybe?). I also have a few of the black chrome cigar kits that show the same thing on all the blak pieces. All these are berea kits.

It seems to me that the black coating used by Berea is very fragile and I have stopped using any of the black chrome kits and also have stopped applying the black trim ring to my Barons.

Anyone else notice this on their kits?

Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Baron is my favorite style. Have never seen that happen. Absolutely contact the source you bought from. What they want is to know about problems. What they don't want is unhappy customers. Tell them how many replacements you need, I'm sure you will be taken care of. If they don't [:(!] ,tell us [:0].

Ron Mc

Andy,
I've had a couple Sierra kits in which the black at the nib end was chipped or chipping off. I plan on making a call about it for replacement parts.
I'll be watching very closely as to how this works out for you.[;)]

mrcook4570

I've had the same problem with cigar pens. They can be touched up with a black marker, although that is not, IMO, a desirable solution.

TomServo

I have several flat top american pens with the same problem - the copper is clearly showing through on them... the finish used seems very very thin to me, some sort of lacquer? Methinks it should be a powder coating for durability but maybe I just got a couple bad ones.. I have some that came with a gold Ti kit that are completely dull - they look terrible.. I plan on asking for replacements next order..

driften

You had some Black Titanium finish come off? That is really strange. That stuff is normally on for good. It must have really been a bad batch. These are Baron pens you got directly from Arizona Silhouette right? You should give Bill a call about them.

On second thought the black ring in the center band I bet is not plated the same as the rest of the fittings. I sure have never heard of it coming off though. Also black chrome normall is a very hard to ware off finish. You must of had some bad parts...

AirportFF

Originally posted by TomServo
<br /> Methinks it should be a powder coating for durability

I don't think powder coating is the answer. PC is considerably thicker than your typical finish. And not as smooth. It would definatley look out of place on something as small as a pen. I've had several parts on mine and my wife's motorcycles powder coated and at times you have to carefully remove some to get the proper fit on the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom