Black Filler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
What do you guys use when you need a fine-grained black filler material? I have some wormy apple wood that need some fill and I think black would look nice.

THANKS!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
You can mix stuff in with epoxy if you want, Jeff, and you can also use acrylic paint to mix in and color it. If it's stable enough wood, after you drill it, glue it and turn it down some, try mixing 5 minute epoxy with coffee grounds and black acrylic craft paint for something cheap and different. :) - You'll have to use CA to coat it, too.

For reference, CA will dissolve black sharpy marker ink, so if you color the insides of the wormholes with a black marker, you can fill the holes with CA and watch it turn black, maybe help it mix a little with a toothpick.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bob (loglugger) and I agree on this one. Dried, used coffee grounds. Pack it in the hole, put a drop of thing CA on the edge of the hole and let it wick in to the grounds. Sand flush. The beans are dark brown, but you really can't tell it from black.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Toner from a laserjet or copy machine works quite well with CA if you want black. The black CA works well also if the holes are not too big. You could also cast it with black resin!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I crush anthracite coal (I found a piece when I moved into this house) and use that powder. I would think a piece of charcoal crushed would do just as well and be easier.

Chasper

I believe that the "jet black" powder from CSUSA is a rock called Jet. It is a form of anthracite coal that is much harder than most coal. I've been working on turning pens out of jet, I save the powder and use it for back fill along with CA.

Dario

For black, my favorite is the black/rubberized CA. You can tandem that with any dark item mentioned (i.e. coffee grounds, shavings from any dark wood, coal, graphite, etc.)

One warning, black CA dry slower specially when applied super thick and may continue to shrink even after a few days. Using other solid filler with it helps alleviate this problem.

hehndc

My two cents, I have sanded graphite from a pencil and mxed it with epoxy. Worked well, true black. Powdered graphite with epoxy yields a iridecent black color.

good luck,
steve

jskeen

Quick hint, if you drill a small hole in the end of a sharpie, you can blow through the hole a little, and get a drop of ink. this works well to either fill directly into a hole, or to mix with a dab of epoxy. then just post a second cap over the hole and keep till next time.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by MesquiteMan

Toner from a laserjet or copy machine works quite well with CA if you want black. The black CA works well also if the holes are not too big. You could also cast it with black resin!

<center>I LOVE this one!!!!</center>

(never tried it, but I have a GOOD source!!!):D:D:D

alamocdc

Originally posted by MesquiteMan

Yep, that's what I use.;)

mick

Whenever I drill African Blackwood I save all the shavings. When I have a pen that needs filling I just pull out the shavings fill the void add thin CA....instant jet black filler!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
All great ideas. I ordered some of the ground up gunk from CSUSA, Lou is sending me some IBO shavings, I picked up some powdered graphite at Home Depot at lunchtime, I have a filter full of coffee grounds in the pot at home, I just snagged a new black Sharpie and a pencil out of the supply cabinet, and I have two black cats that might donate a little fur for the cause. Something has to work! I'll report back.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Top Bottom