Black Dyed BEB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaspar

Problem:

CSUSA's advert picture for the Emperor has a really nice, uniformly colored, spectacularly figured, Black dyed BEB in it.

050-4130.jpg

Got a customer who wants that, with a hi-gloss finish, put into a set of Imperials (Fountain and roller). I can't seem to get any Black Dyed BEB that is that nice. Usually the blanks has places where the color didn't penetrate the wood, or it lacks the tight burl figuring or both. Any ideas where I could find some that looks that good?

Or is it possible to do some staining / dyeing myself on the lathe after turning it down? I tried blanks from AZ Sil and though the figuring is there, the color isn't. I'm going to ask CSUSA to hand pick some Black Dyed BEBs in the hopes of getting two that good, and I may try to turn down the ones from AZ Sil and stain them. Is it possible to put a hi-gloss CA finish on it, if I do that?

Any other ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I think someone mentioned using the spirit dyes that Woodcraft sells with success. You could also try a Sharpie, or India ink.

Kaspar

I tried the sharpie and the CA took it right off. India ink sounds like it might work. I'll check the wood craft stuff. Are there water based stains? I think the way to solve this is to go ahead with BB's well figured pieces, but dye them rather than try hit or miss with CSUSA.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Before using the CA on an alcohol based sharpie "set" it with BLO.
The Ca won't dissolve it then.
Black is a tough color though.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Kaspar
<br />Okay. I'll try that. Need to get some BLO though. Never needed it until now.

However I proceed, I think I'll want to do the dyeing in stages, to get the shade right.
Once you put the BLO on you cannot put any more color to it.
You can use a rag with DNA to blend the color.It ahs been my experience that most makers "paint" rather than dye.
The color is more translucent if it is blended.

usfwood

I was just entering the forum with a very similar question. I tried to dye a center band section with a black sharpie, and I could not keep the ink from being wiped, thinned, and uglified with the CA/BLO combination. I even tried to re-apply it several times through out the finishing process. I realize that after the CA was on, the ink might not absorb as well, but the initial coloring would not hold.

Are there other ways to set the color? How do all of you use ink to dye with out the thinning effect of sanding, CA, cleaning off the dust, etc. Are there any tutorials on coloring/dying.

Thanks,
D

BUGSY

i have had good luck with fieblings leather dye you can get it from any tandy leather store...if you will go to ...pipemakers forum ..they have several good post on how to use the bl dye as a contrast color also...it might be worth to check it out...thanks bugsy

Pikebite

I have had a lot of success using Chestnut products spirit based dyes. I found water based dyes to give poor colours, they raised the grain and the blank was wet. The spirit dyes dried very quickly, give excellent colours, can be blended with each other and are not affected by CA.

Kaspar

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Is your customer a woodturner? How did he get a copy of the CSUSA catalog?

Most of my business is online, and usually I take orders, instead of having the stuff ready made. I find out what they're interested in, we talk about kits and platings and materials. I have to show pictures, and we weren't looking at that one for the wood, at first, but for the pen type.

This year I should become more "conventional" in how I sell these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom