Black Crap in Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

I use between center bushings, and even time i turn something there is black carbon crap in the bushing end and on my live and dead center.Any idea how this happens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Wax your bushings and try not to sand the bushing. Sanding the bushing makes fine metal and that in turn is the black stuff that you are talking about. Try not to sand the bushings, not only does it make the dust it also changes the diameter of the bushings.

randyrls

A couple of small pieces of painters tape on the bushings will prevent the sandpaper from hitting the bushings.

Another source of that black stuff is when turning, you will have to tighten down the tail stock hand wheel more than you do with a mandrel. If the bushing rubs on the dead center, it will "grind" off a fine dust that looks like sanding dust.

NC Wood Art

as a side note on same topic sometimes it's gray. I almost ruined a piece of Redwood lace burl due to oil & contaminants on them, never thought about having to clean them before use. They coat them in some type of anti corrosion chemicals to keep them from rusting.

RHossack

I can agree with the sanding and bushings and slippage and the first thought that came to my mind was what kind of sandpaper are you using but maybe I'm missing something here.

Why do you folks sand with the bushings still in the blank?

Once I've turned the blank to size I remove the bushings and mount the turned blank between the centers for sanding and finish application.

Bobalu

I agree with Cindy and Hans. The black stuff you're seeing is most likely dust sized particles of metal from the bushings, created during the sanding process. It's has nothing to do with whether you're turning on a mandrel of between centers.

Now, I could add to the chorus and tell you not to sand over the bushings, but I know that is easier said than done. No matter how hard I've tried not to hit the bushings when sanding a wooden blank, it still happens now and then.

Here is what I now do when sanding wooden blanks. It's helped me, perhaps it will help you. First off, sand only in one direction - toward the bushing - never back and fourth. Second, as you finish each pass, reposition the sand paper so you have a fresh, clean spot on the paper each time. By eliminating the reverse stroke and using a clean section of the sandpaper each time, the chances of transferring metal filings to the blank are greatly reduced, even if you do sand over the bushings occasionally.

It may take you a little longer to do the final sanding, and you'll use up more sandpaper doing it this way, but what's a little extra time and sandpaper compared to the cost of a ruined blank.

crabcreekind

I can agree with the sanding and bushings and slippage and the first thought that came to my mind was what kind of sandpaper are you using but maybe I'm missing something here.

Why do you folks sand with the bushings still in the blank?

Once I've turned the blank to size I remove the bushings and mount the turned blank between the centers for sanding and finish application.

Well for one i leave a lip on my blanks then sand very very close to the bushings. And when i put a blank between centers and try to sand the centers just get in the way.

arcwick08

After I've done several turnings with my bushings, I generally mount them all on my mandrel, scrape off any finish/ca with an old, cheap, dull parting tool. Then get some 000 steel wool and brasso, spin the lathe up and scrub/polish the heck out of the bushings. Wax when done. Been a huge help in reducing the dark end-of-blank staining that used to be the bane of my turning existence.

Top Bottom