Black blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which black colored blank do you prefer?

• Black Alumite

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Black PR

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Black painted tube with clear PR

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don't do blank blanks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SDB777

Was wondering, which do you think is easiest? I'm having all kinds of trouble with 'black blanks'...can't win!

Scott (and why) B

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

What's a blank blank? :tongue::biggrin:

Scott, do you mean just a plain ole solid black blank?

Yup, just a plain ole black blank(blank blank is my mind I guess). Seems to be my "I'll never get one of these right" blanks?

Scott (got a painted one drying in RS mold now) B

Brooks803

What is it that's not "right" with them after casting? Sorry, just trying to understand the problem a lil better. I cast alot of solid black and they seem to come out fine.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There are also black acrylic and commercial black resin blanks available. Not to mention black ebonite.

Like Jonathon, I've turned them all---what difficulties are you having and maybe we can find a material that "suits your style" better.

BTW---black shows scratches!!! Even very SMALL scratches--no matter WHAT black it is, you need to polish carefully!!

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
I make them now and then. Just mix powder coating power from HF and PR. They are a little easier to cast than multi-color blanks since you don't have to stir...just mix catalyst and let it sit.

SDB777

Gonna have the wife make me some straight black tomorrow after the swirly casts from today come out of the molds.....(she hasn't cast me any black yet, got to be better then the ones that were purchased)

It's mostly airholes....and getting them 'patched' to look correct.(Although it'd be easier without the airholes to start with). I do have a black painted tube in the resinsaver mold now...maybe it'll do better?

Scott (was just re-thinking today and gettting frustrated) B

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Home-made black can set up REALLY fast.

So, if the "caster" is not real quick--airbubbles will result. If you do them yourself, just be prepared to pour into molds fast---we had it set up in the cups when Dawn first started doing black. Wanna make a black EGG??? (Cup of resin will make an egg!!)

SDB777

Home-made black can set up REALLY fast.

So, if the "caster" is not real quick--airbubbles will result. If you do them yourself, just be prepared to pour into molds fast---we had it set up in the cups when Dawn first started doing black. Wanna make a black EGG??? (Cup of resin will make an egg!!)

Thanks for the 'tip', I'll be sure to pass it on to the casting department:biggrin:

Scott (she likes it too much I thinks) B

Top Bottom