bigger hole than the bushing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

I drilled a hold for a 3/8th bushing using a 3/8 drill and the hole got wallowed out to a 27/64 somehow,,lol,,is there anything I can do to reduce the size of the hole to fit the bushing correctly,,thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Use a sharp drill bit and drill on the lathe for best accuracy in drilling.

If you are worried about saving that blank .... you could try filling the excess gappage with epoxy or gorilla glue, but if it's part of the barrel that is going to show when everything is all finished, it's not worth the hassle ... get a new blank out and have another go at it.

If it's a blank that is too expensive to toss, you could possibly dry segmenting it instead, and putting a different, contrasting wood on both ends (to make it look planned out that way, instead of covering an "oops" moment).

qquake

I've found for me, the times I've been lazy and didn't clamp the vise to the drill press table, there is a tendency for it to drill "wallowed" holes. Now I always clamp the vise. I recently got some t-nuts to use, since my drill press table has t-slots.

Attachments

• vise01.jpg
    vise01.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 112
  • vise02.jpg
    vise02.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 111
  • vise03.jpg
    vise03.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 114

jttheclockman

I don't know but I guess I read something different in this question. You posted in the penturning forum so I guess this has to do with a pen blank. But what I do not get is you say you drilled a hole for a bushing. Why, is my question to start with. If it is a pen blank the hole matches the tube size not the bushing. Now if we are talking a bushing of a different kind then that is a whole other topic.

You need to provide more info. What are you trying to do???? How did you drill the hole and what tool did you use??? What type drill bit did you use??? How are you holding the blank for drilling???

Unlike the others I find there is no info here that can help us help you. :)

By the way welcome to the site.

magpens

I drilled a hold for a 3/8th bushing using a 3/8 drill and the hole got wallowed out to a 27/64 somehow,,lol,,is there anything I can do to reduce the size of the hole to fit the bushing correctly,,thank you

I get the impression you want to salvage your work as much as possible.

You have a 27/64" hole. Put in a piece of 27/64" tube. Inside that put a piece of a 10 mm tube ... the fit will be quite close. Then you can use a piece of 3/8" tube inside that, but you will have to sand down the 3/8" tube to get it to fit inside the 10 mm.

Not sure if this is what you want to do ... just a thought to try to help. I have done this and it worked to bale me out of a similar problem.

jttheclockman

If you are trying to salvage a blank then you need to tell what kit is being used. Is there enough material left even if you salvage the blank for the kit in question. May have to just use a larger kit or scrap the blank. Unless it is a special blank then we need to go another route. Too many variables. Help us help you.:)

Joey-Nieves

If the hole is to big and you fear the tube will show, I always cut the excess of the blanks in 1/16" rings, you could use different color rings at each end, it will look cool

Sabaharr

From the way I read the question I think someone just grabbed the wrong bit. 27/64 is quite a suspicious size for a hole to "accidentally" wallow out to. Anyway if there is still enough meat on the bone for the kit you are wanting to use I would generously apply epoxy and try to fill all the gaps with the 3/8 tube. Risky but if you cant see yourself converting to making a Sierra or its clone then ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am going to assume that you were trying to drill a pen blank for a tube wanting a 3/8th hole.

If it is a single barrel kit, 27/64th is a common size single barrel pen drill bit size, You might well be able to just use the blank for another pen style, I think almost all Sierra and Gatsby style kits call for 27/64th. If you can use the drilled blank for another kit. Just get another blank for the pen you're working on.

GaryMGg

Jeff

You can turn a spindle the size of the hole you drilled and glue it into that hole.
Then, redrill the blank.
However: is the blank worth your time and energy.

Top Bottom