Bigger Atlas roller ball?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlackPearl

I am very new here and not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not, but here goes, and I ask for your forbearance if this is not correct.

I have to admit I am a true pen snob, I still write with the Parker Sterling Silver set I won for my first sales contest back in the 60's. However my wife was at the wood store the other day and came home with an Atlas kit and a very nice burl blank and said "turners make pens right?" sooo after a run back to the store for extra tubes, some closeout blanks, Oh yeah bushings and a mandrel (I did not have them) I finally turned my first pen; it is a beginning.

After turning and stripping 6 tubes a night I finally got some that do not look too bad, I almost feel confident enough to tackle the burl she bought home.

However I think the pen is too short it is fine for her but for me it has a nice weight but I do not like the length, I have large hands and it hits on the web of my thumb. Is there a way to make this kit about an inch longer? I doubt it would replace my Parker roller ball but I would like it on my desk for customers to use.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

its_virgil

Yea, Ron does. Read this. This is your lucky day!:biggrin:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81350&highlight=polaris

Do a good turn daily!
Don

...my wife was at the wood store the other day and came home with an Atlas kit and a very nice burl blank and said "turners make pens right?"

However I think the pen is too short it is fine for her but for me it has a nice weight but I do not like the length. Is there a way to make this kit about an inch longer?

Does anyone have a suggestion?

OOPS

Yes, Ron did make one and I had a chance to write with it the other night at our pen club meeting. It is terrific! It is now just the perfect size, and with the Uniball 207 it writes like a dream. I can't wait to make one myself.

Here is another of his posts, which might have the same stuff as previously mentioned, or perhaps extra photos. Its worth a look.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81350&highlight=stretch+atlas

OOPS

Oh, I just noticed that you were looking for a roller ball for the stretch Atlas? The Uniball 207 is gel. However, there is some room for experimentation with Ron's design to get the refill you want in there. He also said he needs to fine tune his measurements just a bit. He attempted to explain it to me, but in the midst of a meeting, I didn't get it all. I too really enjoy rollerballs, but the Uniball 207 is outstanding in its ease of movement. If you haven't tried it, I would certainly suggest you pick one up at Staples to see if it would meet your needs.

Top Bottom