A Big Thank You Regarding Chuck Reccomendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I would like to thank all who responded to which chuck to get for my mini lathe. My Oneway Talon Scroll Chuck arrived this afternoon so I put it on the lathe and turned a little 6" shallow bowl. What a sweet operating chuck that it and it sure has a bulldog grip on the wood. I feel much safer now about using my lathe for this type of turning.
I used a 2 3/8" forstner bit to drill a recess in the bottom of this piece and that is where I chucked it. So I had to be carefull not to turn too deep and get too close to that area in the bottom. Of course this was just a test piece and I was in a hurry to try out the chuck. Next time I will use the paper and glue trick between the bowl blank and a scrap of wood on the bottom to chuck to.
I am going to go ahead and order the smaller jaw set for it because I know there are places that it would be beneficial.
W.Y.
68775324.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssmith

W.Y.

The "test bowl" is beautiful. I've already found use for the 25mm jaw set on my nova, especially for 2" or less thick pieces. I'm kinda curious about the mini cole jaw set and its use on bowls and begin able to attach that, then a 50 or 25mm jaw set, and a wormscrew to allow for holding the bowl at variuos phases -- all with one chuck configuration.

Did you ever get a hold of the Wood Magazine article this month on turning small bowls? I'm going to cut the templates out on 1/8" plywood and make the friction chuck used for final finishing to see how that flies (hopefully not the bowl). If bad, then I'll invest in the cole jaws.

Opps...wrong forum...uhh...how's the pen making coming?[:D]

William Young

Patrick;
Pen making is coming along great. Just finished a custom order for a lady that wanterd a gel writer in rosewood. Will deliver it tomorrow. She wants to give it to someone as a gift.

I made this jig for turning the bottom of bowls and it works great.

C:\Documents and Settings\billandzitayoung\Desktop\WWTips and Jigs\bowljig.htm

It is not a live link but a copy and paste into your address bar will bring it up. If it doesn't, let me know.

Yep.. I guess this is kinda off topic in a pen turning forum but there have been questions about chucks recently so hopefully there are not too many upset about this particular thread. Most of us got mini lathes primarily for turning pens first and maybe some would be interesed in seeing what else they can do with those mini lathes for a little change of pace now and again.

I never got that magazine yet but I am going to USA on the 14th to watch a world class turner do his thing and give me some tips for a couple hours . I should be able to pick up a copy in Sandpoint, Idaho. We're going to make it a 3 day end of season camping trip.
W.Y.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
A quick note...The link you are providing will not get us to your file. The address will instead look on our own C: drives for the directory and folders along with the file.

William Young

Lou;
Hhmmm... I'm fairly dense about things like that. It says it is a HTML document . I don't know how to convert it to a live link but if anyone wants a copy, just email me and I will send it. I tried sending a copy to myself just to check and it arrived so it should mail to others as well .
W.Y.

William Young

Bob;
All I can imagine is that you clicked on the link right at the bottom that is my website link. You need to click on the one in the message body that says
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/bowljig.html

. It works great for me here so it should also work for you.
W.Y.

William Young

Rather than continue this bowl turning topic on a pen turning forum, some of you may be interested in seeing a couple practice bowls I just made and one shows the bottom turned with the help of that jig.
It is at this site http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1886
W.Y.

wayneis

William,
I went to your site and almost fell out of my chair laughing at the story about your friend Tom, one of the funniest things I've ever read. Glad he is ok. Why didn't you go out and get a shot from above, that would have really toped off the story.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom