Big Score

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

today I stopped by a cabinet shop to see if they had any scrap pieces of corian and wow did I score.
got 11 pieces at least 5" wide 1/2 thick and 2' long. different colors and the man said if I made him one pen from each I could get more when I delivered them. He has a number of colors to be had. Place I got it before finding this guy I had to pay $10.00 a pound.
So it's out to the saw to chop up some pen blanks. Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Ask if if he would glue the 1/2" sections up for a full inch and there isn't any style of pen you can't make for him.
He will have the correct adhesive for each.
Invisible glue joints are nice

its_virgil

Invisible glue joints are possible with CA and two part epoxy. Pieces must be sanded flat and clamped securly with complete glue coverage. On the patterned corian(with the flecks and chips) there is a top and bottem...top has more pattern/flecks and just looks better. Glue the tops to each other. This puts all of the pattern/chips on the inside of the blank and you turn off the bottom or less patterned corian. It makes for a nicer pen if the tops are glued together(with the patterned corian). This is also ture for other solid surface materials.Hope this makes some kind of sense.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Ask if if he would glue the 1/2" sections up for a full inch and there isn't any style of pen you can't make for him.
He will have the correct adhesive for each.
Invisible glue joints are nice

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have gotten "perfect" joints with CA but success rate is no where what I would like.
I don't care for small pens(true slimlines) the glue problem is only one reason I choose not to turn much Corian.
Regardless the pro would have better luck with the MFG adhesive than a CA Joint.

its_virgil

Actually I have had better luck with epoxy than CA. I've tried to purchase the real adhesive and no one will sell it to a non counter top non DuPont trained regular ole penturner. Actually, after turning about 50 corian pens when I first started, corian is not one of my favorite things to turn. After awhile the novelty was lost. I'll stick with wood and some of the nicer acrylics. I do keep a few corian pens made up for those who think they are neat.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />I have gotten "perfect" joints with CA but success rate is no where what I would like.
I don't care for small pens(true slimlines) the glue problem is only one reason I choose not to turn much Corian.
Regardless the pro would have better luck with the MFG adhesive than a CA Joint.

MikeM

thanks for all the good advice on the corian. I never gave it much thought as to glueing up two 1/2 pieces. I think I can get some adhesive from the guy if I ask real nice or he might just do me some.
Some of it is real pretty and I did saw a bunch of blanks up this evening. Man it sure does stink when sawing but not bad when turning.
Again thasnks for the advice. Mike

Chuck Hans

Mike, I have had good luck with the two part epoxy. I have found that you need to scuff the mating surfaces on coarse sandpaper to give some tooth for tha epoxy to grip. I have made bottle stoppers as well as pens with no failures to date.
Chuck

terrymiller

I turn corian alot and just use medium CA with no problems to date made about 35 pens from it. I just make sure I glue the smooth side together then clamp in vise.

You can get real corian adhesive in the 1.5oz 2 part mix kits on Ebay. The seller(trout_lake_arts) will let you choose the the colors of the kits if you are the winning bidder. She has increased her Buy it now price considerably since I got some. I like the look of cutting the corian into 1/2" strips then using a contrasting glue to glue them up. Just remember that you have about a 5 minute working time with the little kits.

Alternatly, Amerinite will sell all there products to the end consumer. You do not need any certification to buy and or use there Solid Surface adhesive. The Amerinite adhesive also bonds Corian. Last time I chatted with them the large tube was $28, compared to $130 for dupont. You do have to have the applicator gun to use the large tubes though.

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Actually I have had better luck with epoxy than CA. I've tried to purchase the real adhesive and no one will sell it to a non counter top non DuPont trained regular ole penturner.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />I have gotten "perfect" joints with CA but success rate is no where what I would like.

woodbutcher

Don't forget to wipe down the corian with alchol just prior to the glue up. A lady in our club has great success using the thin starbond c/a. It would be really great if you could talk the cabinet shop out of the proper adhesive.
Jim [:D]

clem

Don i'm not a corian installer but i can buy the glue the thing is that it is about a 6 oz tube at $57.00 a tube and once open it has NO shelf life SO its either ca or epoxy clem

MikeM

Again guy's thanks for the advice. I am gonna try to glue up some pieces using ca glue the thick stuff and see if the blow up on me. I will go see the guy and see if he has any he can sell or give me. Might even find some scrap he has there and ask him to glue up some at the shop. won't hurt to ask.
Man what a mess it is when sawing that stuff. dust all over the place--even with my DC at the saw. I looked like a snowMan when I got done. Mike

MDWine

I glued up a block with CA, and got a pretty good joint. One end of the block was invisible, the other end had a very thin line. I assumed that my clamp on that end was not tight enough. I also did not use alchol to clean them when I prep'd the surface, so that could be the reason too.

I say experiment with the medium density CA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom