Big Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rusty G

G'day all I'am sure plenty of you guys out there have made Churchill and El grande before my question is they say to use 33/64 and 31/64 are they a snug fit or a loose fit,the metric sizes are 33/64 =1.3097 or 13mm and the 31/64=1.2303 or a 12.3. Your imput would be great.

Thanks RG

P.S if I go metric 13mm no problems for the cap but would I get away with using a 12mm or would it be to tight for the pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ohiococonut

I can't answer your specific question but anytime I use a new drill bit I drill a piece of test wood just to make sure. I've found too many bits that don't run true, were oversized or just the wrong size and ruined a perfectly good blank. Then, if the drill bit is different than what's called for, I keep the test blank with my bushings and the drill size is written on that blank.

Rusty G

Thanks for that I relize you test them first but drill bits that size cost around $20 each so I don't want drill bits around that I will never use

RG

ohiococonut

Sorry, wasn't think about that since I have complete sets of drill bits :redface:

I was just remembering how mad I was that I ruined the only two black blanks I had trying to make a particular pen because the bit I got with the kit was the wrong size. Even after I stepped it down 1/64" it was still too big. Live and learn I guess.

Dan_F

In my experience the fractional drills work fine for wood, but if you have transparent acrylic blanks, the 13.3mm bit works better for the cap, as the 33/64" is too tight once you paint the inside of the blank. I haven't had the same problem with the 31/64" for the barrel.

Dan

Top Bottom