Big mistake!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

I've got a question I've never had to address before.I was doing a rather complex glue up and accidentally glued the tube into my assembled blank. Has anyone ever tried to drill out the brass with any success? I've got some more cutting to do on the blank and that'd be kinda hard to do with the tube inserted...lol [:eek:)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Mike,
I have actually been working through my mind a way to add more segments after the tube is glued in. From what I see it shouldn't be a problem as long as you compensate for the kerf of the blade.
This is something I plan on playing with in the near future so I'm looking forward to your results![:D]

DocStram

You accidentally glued your tube into the assembled blank? Ohhhh man, I feel your pain. We should add a survey question to the poll forum. "What is the worst mistake that you ever made while working on a pen?'

I'm always doing stuff like that. Gawdddd!

angboy

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />If the glue is CA, you could soak it in acetone until it comes free. However, if you used CA to glue the segments, they'll come loose too.

Wouldn't that depend on what type of wood it is? A few months ago I managed to CA a drill bit into a pen blank- I can't even remember now how I managed to do that. Anyway, I mainly wanted to get the drill bit back, and so I stuck it in acetone, soaked the whole darn thing and left it overnight. The next morning, the blank had kinf of started to fade. And this wasn't something like a dyed wood. It was one of the australian woods that naturally comes reddish. And then I STILL couldn't even get the darn bit out! But I guess acetone must react to some woods?

pmburk

Yesterday I inserted a tube with CA on it into a blank but didnt' get it all the way in. Since the hole I drilled for the was 3/8, I put the blank in my drill vise and used a 3/8 bit to drill it out. No problems. I just took my time bringing the arbor down to avoid creating too much heat. Cleaned out the hole and glued up another tube.
Hope this helps ya.
Originally posted by mick
<br />I've got a question I've never had to address before.I was doing a rather complex glue up and accidentally glued the tube into my assembled blank. Has anyone ever tried to drill out the brass with any success? I've got some more cutting to do on the blank and that'd be kinda hard to do with the tube inserted...lol [:eek:)]

vick

Not real helpfull for this time but this is one of the reasons I use 5 minute epoxy to glue my tubes. As a side note and I know this is also to late if your tube sticks useing ca you can sometimes use a pipe clamp to pop the tube in but you must do it quickly.

For those of you talking about soaking in acetone he mentioned that this is a laminated blank, the acetone will disolve the glue holding the laminations together as well.

Angela - I have also seen the acentone discolor the wood several times. I am not sure if it is natural dye from the wood or the disolved glue changeing the color. I think a little of both. I usually save my oops's to soak at one time (about 3 pairs of blanks) and the acetone almost always takes on a blackish color that seeps into the wood. Most of the time they are laminated blanks so there is quite a bit more CA than the average blanks would have.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by angboy
<br />... The next morning, the blank had kinf of started to fade. And this wasn't something like a dyed wood. It was one of the australian woods that naturally comes reddish. And then I STILL couldn't even get the darn bit out! But I guess acetone must react to some woods?

I would think the acetone caused the wood to swell somewhat. If you let the blank dry out a bit the wood might go back down and let you get your bit out.

It's quite common for folks who make jam chucks to put some water on them to make the chuck swell and grip better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom