Big Ben refill not extending or retracting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crab0000

Good morning! I am a new pen turner and have only assembled a few Big Bens so far with no issue. I turned one last night and after putting it together it will not extend or retract the refill. The upper barrel will not turn at all. It seems to work fine without the tip on. I've tried another transmission from a different Big Ben kit as well as a different tip and refill with the same results. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crab0000

Thanks for the reply! Tip as in nib. I turned the spring end for end and it will extend now, but not retract unless I press on it with my finger. It's almost like the refill is getting stuck on the nib, but I've tried two different ones.

randyrls

Also; Verify that the ink fill will slide easily in the tip. Take the ink fill out of the pen and try to insert it into the tip (nib end) from the outside. If there is any binding or resistance, take a small drill bit and "ream" out the nib end.

crab0000

There was a small amount of binding, so I reamed the end of the nib out a little bit and it extends very smoothly, but still will not retract without pressing on the end of the refill with my finger. At least half the problem is fixed, thanks! :) I think I'll try reaming the nib out a little more.

Last edited:
The refill is probably still hitting just a bit make sure you can insert it easily from the nib end it there us any resistance at all you need to ream it some more.

Top Bottom