Big Ben Lessons Learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhudson1977

Hello everyone. I've tried to do a search for this topic and didn't really come up with anything. So, if this topic has already been broached, please let me know and I will attempt to refine my search to find it.

I'm sure that everyone is acutely aware by now that there seems to be a lesson learned in every new pen kit that we put together. I'm speaking generally here to hide my mistakes with every new pen kit I put together :rolleyes:! I know that when I attempt a new pen kit, I always count on two or three being wasted because of an ambiguity in the instructions or a "misinterpretation" on my behalf.

So, I am getting ready to start a Big Ben kit soon (as soon as I get the Woodchuck tool from bitshird....I'm excited for that one) and I am asking all the experts on here for some lessons learned for a Big Ben kit (it would be nice if we had a lessons learned forum to facilitate future lessons learned). This might help me stave off some wasted kits.

Thank you to all for your knowledge!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

1. Short Barrel is the cap, long barrel is the nib end (if reversed things won't work DAMHIKT)
2. Straight B2B turning looks funny on both ends IMO. So don't taper at the finial until the last 3/4 to 1/4 inch.
3. The spring in the kit can do Mach 5 if dropped on the floor and will hide in the corner of your shop never to be seen again.
4. Some kits have a double twist so closed is in the middle, this is a good thing to know if you carry one in your shirt.

1. Short Barrel is the cap, long barrel is the nib end (if reversed things won't work DAMHIKT)
2. Straight B2B turning looks funny on both ends IMO. So don't taper at the finial until the last 3/4 to 1/4 inch.
3. The spring in the kit can do Mach 5 if dropped on the floor and will hide in the corner of your shop never to be seen again. Actually in my shop it will go under the roll around tool box that is on 3" castors and permanently installed under the work bench so I can't roll it out of the way and requires me to get down on my belly with a long stick to try and rake everything that falls to the floor out from under the tool box. This applies no matter what I drop or where in the shop I might drop it.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::confused:
4. Some kits have a double twist so closed is in the middle, this is a good thing to know if you carry one in your shirt.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom