Beware - Tube sizes incorrect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

I have developed a habit of removing the tubes from pen kits and keeping them in a Plano box, sorted by kit type. I have also, on occasion, purchased a few extra tube sets and put them in the box. Tonight I was getting some Jr Gent tubes from the box and noticed that one of the upper tubes (larger one) had another tube inside it. I did some research and discovered that there were 5 out of 15 tubes that were the wrong size...(smaller than should be)...They are the correct length.

I have removed tubes from additional Jr Gent kits and all were the larger size. I have checked all types of kits I own (or ever owned) and believe that these 5 tubes are simply the wrong size, and not intended for another kit (mis-filed). The smaller (wrong) tubes fit inside the correct size tube, as if they are the next size smaller.

I can only conclude that somewhere, some time, I got 5 Jr. Gent kits, or 5 tube sets that had upper tubes that are the wrong size.

That would ruin the whole weekend if the too small tube found itself in that Chittum Burl blank waiting on the bench...

Please double check your Jr. Gents before glue up!

Any ideas?

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Were you turning pens when the Jr. Gent original edition existed?

It's tube was slightly smaller diameter.

No sir, first non-slimline or non- "mont blanc" was this year. I guess it's possible a group of extra tube sets were mis marked??

Tom

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Good to know. I also remove the tubes from the kits and "file them" in labeled bags.

I have always made it a practice, though, to use my digital caliper to measure each tube before I set them up with their respective cut and drilled blanks.

TomW

I have always made it a practice, though, to use my digital caliper to measure each tube before I set them up with their respective cut and drilled blanks.

Sounds like a great idea.. I wonder if this old dog can learn that new trick?

Tom

sefali

Were you turning pens when the Jr. Gent original edition existed?

It's tube was slightly smaller diameter.

That's probably it. I have both, and they look just the same, except the Jr. Gent II is clearly larger. If you have loose parts, check to make sure they are all the same size. Seems you picked up extra tubes from the originals, or you have some of the original kits.

Wildman

I never remove tubes from kit bag until time to use. Will also open bag of extra tubes & measure one extra tube with one from kit to ensure same size.

Put tape label on extra tubes to reseal that bag until they're needed.

jkeithrussell

Good to know. I'm curious to know why you would do that, rather than leave them with the kit in the bag they came in.

I do something similar with mine. I use tackle box style trays for each pen type. I almost always order extra sets of tubes, and I take out all of the tubes from the kits that I buy. That way, I can set up some blanks by simply grabbing tubes from the pile (well, 2 piles: large tube and small) rather than having to open the kit bag. If I goof the blank, I can just toss it without disturbing the rest of my gear. I do, however, measure the tubes with digital calipers before I drill the holes. Sometimes there is a minor variance in the size. When that happens, you can either use the next larger/smaller drill bit, or toss the tube and find one that fits better. For example, instead of using a 10.5mm drill bit for a Jr. Gent, you might use a 13/32 or 27/64, depending on the circumstances.

mdburn_em

I've had a problem in the past. Not with a CSUSA kit, but one from PSI.

I had a bunch of extra tubes and made up a number of blanks while waiting for my next batch of kits to come in. To my surprise and disgust. The new kit body didn't fit the old tubes. (It was the pen/pencil combo) I was just kind of sick.

Tossed em all and haven't ordered from PSI since.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Good to know. I'm curious to know why you would do that, rather than leave them with the kit in the bag they came in.

I do it with slimline and comfort kits only. I can store many kits in a smaller space by breaking them down and it is handy to grab parts when I start to make those pens. Did nine hours of demo at a Fair this weekend and I only had to transport one tray of parts. Was handy. I do not do that with my higher end kits.

JohnU

I do it also. I keep the tubes in the shop and the kits in the house to assemble. This way I dont have to dig out kits to glue tubes or risk damaging kit parts while Im turning by having them in the way or laying around. Right or wrong, just my reason. Besides, I seem to always have a dozen or more blanks glued up with tubes waiting to turn on the bench.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader

I keep the tubes outside by my bandsaw and drillpress along with a bottle of glue, gloves so I can cut, tube and turn 3-10 different pen blanks. Then I bring them all in the house where I have the lathe.

Ever watch "Monk?" It's a "monk" thing.

randyrls

I have a "build box" with 8 compartments in it. When I start a batch of pens, I put the blanks, kits, and bushings in the compartment. That makes it easy to keep everything together.

TomW

I have a "build box" with 8 compartments in it. When I start a batch of pens, I put the blanks, kits, and bushings in the compartment. That makes it easy to keep everything together.

I tried that once, but found that invariably I changed the decision as to kit plating once the blank was round and shiny. I often even change between postable and non-postable....

Of course that means the stock now contains 98 kits in 54 different styles/platings...

Did I mention how great LOML is?:biggrin:

Tom

Reb

Hi
I just spent 1/2 on the phone with Craft supplies. When I talked about the tube size I was informed I must have had the cap mis alined. I just checked some tubes from my last order with the tubes I just rec'v I'm showing 2-3 thousnds small.

Anybody else having trouble?
REB

TomW

Hi
I just spent 1/2 on the phone with Craft supplies. When I talked about the tube size I was informed I must have had the cap mis alined. I just checked some tubes from my last order with the tubes I just rec'v I'm showing 2-3 thousnds small.

Anybody else having trouble?
REB

Reb,

What kit did you have the tube size probem with?

Tom

Top Bottom