BEWARE DELTA HAS A PROBLEM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

john__tucker

I felt everyone should be warned...I needed a new part for a Delta lathe I bought last year, I was told it was on back order until the 3rd of June. Called to find out where it could be and I learned Delta has been sold to another company....ETA on part UNKNOWN. For all of you debating between another lathe and Delta, please read this and think before you buy. The lathe is great; however, customer service and the future of the company...Who knows..Please, please take this into consideration before you spend your money...Buy whatever lathe you like but if something goes bad on your Delta good luck...But they do give you a website to visit, thanks DELTA for the website....OH not to mention I have already paid for the part the now former company didnt suggest a refund !!!

After much begging I got a guys name and cell phone number to a guy with the new company..Surprise Voice mail, no return call!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nsfr1206

Yeah when I bought my 46-460 from tool nut I think I got the last one they had. I think it will all work out. Don't believe you would buy that big of a company and not have a plan...

SCR0LL3R

That was the biggest reason I didn't get the 46-460 even though it had exactly what I was looking for. I ended up spending a little more and getting a General International 25-200 which I am very happy with.

john__tucker

Im sure it will work out. I ordered my part around May 20th, I wished they would have warned me that there could be potential issues with the change over. I just really feel bad for those who may depend on there equipment to make a living and are now forced to decide whether to buy new stuff or hope a part comes soon.

brewtang

Delta has been sold, there is a transition period as the inventory gets moved to the new warehouses, most of which should be done this month. All service is still being done through Dewalt's service facilities (at least for the next couple years). You'll be fine.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thanks for the article. Very interesting, sadly not surprising..

I am not sure this is a bad thing. Anything to get them out from under the control of Black and Decker is a good thing, IMO! Stanley Black and Decker have been know for buying good brands and then turning them into cheap brands. DeWalt is still fair but not nearly as good as they were before Black and Decker bought them. Same with Emglo compressors, Bostich, and Porter Cable, all owned by B&D.

okiebugg

Stanley

I am not sure this is a bad thing. Anything to get them out from under the control of Black and Decker is a good thing, IMO! Stanley Black and Decker have been know for buying good brands and then turning them into cheap brands. DeWalt is still fair but not nearly as good as they were before Black and Decker bought them. Same with Emglo compressors, Bostich, and Porter Cable, all owned by B&D.

I think that you will find that Stanley Tools bought DeWalt, Porter Cable, Ryobi, Delta and a few others. I tried to purchase a Porter Cable bandsaw a few weeks back and found this to be so. There was no finfding the lathe I wanted from Delta, and no Porter Cable.
Oh, and Black and Decker couldn't be verified as having been in the wholesale changeover

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator

I think that you will find that Stanley Tools bought DeWalt, Porter Cable, Ryobi, Delta and a few others. I tried to purchase a Porter Cable bandsaw a few weeks back and found this to be so. There was no finfding the lathe I wanted from Delta, and no Porter Cable.
Oh, and Black and Decker couldn't be verified as having been in the wholesale changeover

Actually, the name of the parent company is Stanley Black and Decker and they do not own Ryobi. That is owned by TTI, the same folks that make Rigid tools under license from Emerson. TTI also own Milwauke.

Here is a complete list of the Stanley Black and Decker brands:
http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/products-services/our-brands

Here is the TTI brands:
http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands

While we are at it, Jet is owned by the Walter Mier Group which is a Swiss company that also owns Wilton Tools, Performax and Powematic.
http://www.waltermeier.com/us/en/splash.html

Bosch is a German company that owns the following:
Bosch, Hawera, Skil, Dremel, RotoZip, Freud, Vermont American, and others.

Last edited:

clapiana

Sorry to hear you got caught in the middle but I feel Delta will be fine once the handoff is done to the Taiwanese company which I agree is a good thing getting away from b&d who produces gimmicks and sexy looking tools

Keep in mind Taiwanese is not the same quality as Chinese they have been making high quality machines in Taiwan for a long time the whole island is built around the woodworking industry

Everything I own is delta and a planer and jointer which is sunhill all which was made in Taiwan and I have never had a problem with quality but maybe I have been blessed

I wouldn't give my 46-450 up for anything or my Taiwan built uni-saw and I am very happy with what I paid for each but if i had an unlimited budget i might have gone with General but I don't and again I have been very pleased with delta over the past decade even though my machines are not the delta "old iron" of the past

Where I do pay a premium is for my festools who have protected their market and can demand what a consumer will pay....similar to Apple

If you dont mind what was the website they pointed you to? What was rhe part needed?

I wish you the best to get your machine up and running quickly

PaulDoug

I agree with Curtis. B & D ruins every good tool they take over. I don't understand it all, when I was a kid B & D was the tool to have.

moke

Let's all hope this does turn out to be a good thing. Large acquistions can go either way.....in the photo industry, Sony bought Minolta and instantly repair became, and has stayed next to impossible. Sony took a great company and totally trashed it.

I talked with a Delta Rep about three weeks ago at a demo and he had no idea what was going on, other than he had been told that the unisaw would continue in production. I was there with a friend to get a 12" disc sander for him and he had no idea if that would continue to be available either.

Let's all hope Curtis is right, I think most of us own a Delta something or other.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Delta

Delta has been bought and sold a number of times over the years - sometimes the brand suffered and sometimes it blossomed. This looks like a good move for the company - it's a pity that Porter-Cable didn't seem go with them. That's a brand being rund into the ground by B&D.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
USA

Sorry to hear you got caught in the middle but I feel Delta will be fine once the handoff is done to the Taiwanese company which I agree is a good thing getting away from b&d who produces gimmicks and sexy looking tools

Keep in mind Taiwanese is not the same quality as Chinese they have been making high quality machines in Taiwan for a long time the whole island is built around the woodworking industry

Everything I own is delta and a planer and jointer which is sunhill all which was made in Taiwan and I have never had a problem with quality but maybe I have been blessed

I wouldn't give my 46-450 up for anything or my Taiwan built uni-saw and I am very happy with what I paid for each but if i had an unlimited budget i might have gone with General but I don't and again I have been very pleased with delta over the past decade even though my machines are not the delta "old iron" of the past

Where I do pay a premium is for my festools who have protected their market and can demand what a consumer will pay....similar to Apple

If you dont mind what was the website they pointed you to? What was rhe part needed?

I wish you the best to get your machine up and running quickly
Delta tools are made in USA and will continue to be made here. Anderson County, SC is where their Factory is moving from Jackson, TN where they have been built. The actual company management is American. The CEO was formerly a top level manager with TTI and he pulled together the group that bought Delta.

I misspoke I meant to say the Delta Unisaw is now made in the USA and will continue to be.

Last edited:

Penultimate

Delta

Greetings
I think it is a good thing that Delta was sold. I worked with the newly hired VP of Product Development for many years. He was the Marketing VP at Delta many years ago. He knows more about the tool industry and woodworking machinery than most people. I expect we will see some really good machines come out of the new Delta.

It would be nice if they could move some manufacturing back to the USA.

Rangertrek

I recently found that service for Delta was top notch! I had a problem with my 46-460 tail stock, seems I jammed a live center in and could not get it out of the quill. Called service with the issue and they said they would send out an all new quill assembly, which they promptly DID in about 2 days. So for me, the service was great.

A machinist freed my live center from the quill, had a small wood chip that bound.
Called Delta and told them to cancel the repair part, they sent it anyway as a backup!
Hard to beat that quality of service. My Delta is still under the warranty period.

Rick_G

No longer owned by B&D can only be a good thing. Yet B&D used to make good tools, I have a 1/4" drill I bought 44 years ago, still works like the day I bought it. I rebuilt the engine in my Pinto in 77 and used that drill to drive the cylinder hone. Literally had smoke pouring out of the drill and it still works great. Can't get that quality any more.

pensbydesign

delta, black and Decker, dewault where owner by Stanley. delta was sold to a Taiwanese com about a year ago, the deal became final as of June first. unfortunately the new delta was unable to transition its parts and warranty effectively so the just made a deal with Stanley to cover this area for two years. i do hope the move will be a good one as the new owners are looking to bring delta back to what they where 20 30 years ago. well see, that's what Stanley said when they bought them. stanley has in the last few years only made enouf merchandise to sell wile they had control turning it over with very little stock,
so it could be some time to wait for your part. i would call around and find if any parts dealers might have the part.

Top Bottom