Between ctr bushings - Exec

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I was surprised to discover that my bushings, purchased some time ago from Johnnycnc, do not fit too well in the tube for a psi executive. The tube measures .347" and the bushings are .344.
As I recall, they work fine for other kits that call for a 3/8" drill bit.
Just checked a bolt action kit, also from PSI, and the bushings fit fine in that tube and it measures .345"
Another case of cheapening the brass tubes I guess.:frown:
I wonder how many they need to do that to in order to get another few ounces of brass?
So, I guess I'll be making some bushings for this one.:cool:
Anybody turning between centers have this issue with this kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Not that kit, but I have a set of his bushings for the Jr Gent II series, and I can say that the problem is 100% NOT his bushings. They fit like a glove in every tube that came with a kit, however, I've also purchased multiple Tube-On cast blanks from several sources and had some (Not all, but even some directly from CSUSA) that they absolutely will not fit in (didn't bother measuring, so I don't know what the size difference is..) So I would blame the tube supplier ( I do not know who is doing the actual tube on casting or where they may be getting their tubes from... ) for what they consider acceptable variation.

Dan Masshardt

As you've probably noticed his bushings are much tighter to the tube than the stock bushings.

I guess the downside of this is that if there is even a slight variation in the tubes being smaller, you might have a problem.

Do you have stock bushings to try to compare to see if they fit where the tbc bushings won't.

Charlie_W

I have some of the Orion pen kits from several years ago. The stock bushings for the cap were horribly loose. I have many of Johnny's bushings and the ones for the Baron, Navigator, Sedona, Reinhart fit perfectly in those kits. The cap on the Orion is just a different size tube. I even called the supplier and they sent me a new set of stock bushings...same...bad..
I ended up making my own TBC cap bushings from Corian. They aren't perfect but so much better than what I had. I use the Corian bushings to get the cap close and then go totally between centers to get my final size.
I also CA between dead and live centers on all my blanks.

Dale Allen

I just got some from him for the exec kit that I haven't tried yet I'll let you know how they fit

Dan, are you saying that you got TBC bushings from Johnny for the PSI exec?
If so, I could not tell from your second response if you check them on a kit that you have.
I do not have standard bushing as I never buy them anymore.

This may be a case where they just made the tube to the large end of the spec.
I do recall that the tube fit quite nicely in the hole. That is not usually the case when using the 'called-for' drill bit. It may be that the OD and ID were both on the larger side and the tube is the normal thickness.
I'll solve my own situation by making TBC bushings for this size and when I do they typically fit as well as Johnny's, but don't last as long!:biggrin:

I won't be able to check further unless I get another kit, which I won't do unless I like the finished pen. However, if this is the case, we would be hard pressed to be sure any purchased bushings will work on every kit.

Jim Burr

Banned
Let's all agree that stuff happens. I have 5 orders to go out for a PSI Bolt action. Ordered bushings from one vendor...the wrong ones show up in the mail, and my order was very clear. Went to another vendor...bushings in stock so I ordered them. Now I hear from the other vendor that he'll ship the correct ones tomorrow. What did I do wrong? Make a clear order...get a clear order. Now I have 6 sets of bushings and I only need two.
Welcome to pen turning!!

Dan Masshardt

Dan, are you saying that you got TBC bushings from Johnny for the PSI exec? If so, I could not tell from your second response if you check them on a kit that you have. I do not have standard bushing as I never buy them anymore. This may be a case where they just made the tube to the large end of the spec. I do recall that the tube fit quite nicely in the hole. That is not usually the case when using the 'called-for' drill bit. It may be that the OD and ID were both on the larger side and the tube is the normal thickness. I'll solve my own situation by making TBC bushings for this size and when I do they typically fit as well as Johnny's, but don't last as long!:biggrin: I won't be able to check further unless I get another kit, which I won't do unless I like the finished pen. However, if this is the case, we would be hard pressed to be sure any purchased bushings will work on every kit.

Yes. I just got them from Johnny for the executive and haven't tried them yet.

I will see how they fit tomorrow. I have some older kits and brand new tubes. I'll check both.

If I forget, remind me!

toddlajoie

Charlie, when you do this, how do you keep the ends from being rounded over?
Or are they and you trim them after the last finish?

My experience is that this rounding is VERY slight, and can be planned for and a benefit, I generally end my blanks at around .005 over the measurements of the pen parts, and this rounding keeps that from being a very slight sharp edge. for parts that should be PERFECTLY smooth, I finish to .003 or less over the kit measurement, then I re-square that edge with a bit of sandpaper on the back of the barrel trimmer head, and the head on the shaft upside down... Works like a charm for me.

Charlie_W

Charlie, when you do this, how do you keep the ends from being rounded over?
Or are they and you trim them after the last finish?

Dale,
Yes, a slight amount of ca does roll over the ends. The pic will show how I sand the ends to be square and flush. After sanding the ends, I seal the ends with some thin ca on a piece of paper towel. I want to seal the ends before going back on the tbc bushings. Sealing keeps water from wet sanding from getting in and showing up later and also, it makes the whitened end from sanding show more clear so you don't see this when the pen is done.

My first sanding jig is a bottle stopper on a screw on stopper mandrel. You can see I made another with a scrap of maple. #2 MT , double stick tape and some 100G sandpaper.

The barrel trimmer with sandpaper works too.

Charlie_W

Here is the pic I forgot to insert.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 160

ossaguy

I use John's long clicker tbc bushings.They are the same 3/8' I.D., & about .020" os so larger than the Executive,so I turn til I meet the Long Clicker diam,then go bushingless for that last little bit,measuring with the calipers.

This prevent me from going too far (happens to me so often..) As with everything he makes,they fit perfect!

Steve

Dale Allen

Charlie, those look like very effective tools and would work well.
I too allow for a slight curve at the end of the blank.

Steve, I'm not concerned here about the size of the bushing that matches the OD of the blank. I never use a bushing size for that as I always measure often.
The issue here is how the TBC bushings fit inside the brass tube.

Dale Allen

I have discovered another solution, at least for my situation. A piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the TBC bushings that I already have makes them a very snug fit into the brass tube. You must not let the foil overlap and it took me 3 pieces to get it to slide in.
I checked the wall thickness in 3 places after turning it down to size and it is spot on now. This actually worked better than the bushings I made from brass.
Anyway, this will work where there is a few thousands difference.

Dan Masshardt

Good Fit

I finally tried them out. The TBC bushings from John fit perfectly in all the executive tubes - 1-2 year old kit and and new tubes purchased last month.

Dale Allen

Well then I mush have gotten an oddball set.
When I push the bushings into the tube they have to fit so exactly that there cannot be any detectable sideways movement or 'wiggle' if you will.
Otherwise I get an out-of-round condition on the blank where the wall thickness is not the same all the way around. I'm talking off by more than .002" here!

Dan Masshardt

Well then I mush have gotten an oddball set. When I push the bushings into the tube they have to fit so exactly that there cannot be any detectable sideways movement or 'wiggle' if you will. Otherwise I get an out-of-round condition on the blank where the wall thickness is not the same all the way around. I'm talking off by more than .002" here!

But you said that they weren't sold as exec bushings right? You've used them for the executive kit in the past though?

Charlie_W

I have discovered another solution, at least for my situation. A piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the TBC bushings that I already have makes them a very snug fit into the brass tube. You must not let the foil overlap and it took me 3 pieces to get it to slide in.
I checked the wall thickness in 3 places after turning it down to size and it is spot on now. This actually worked better than the bushings I made from brass.
Anyway, this will work where there is a few thousands difference.

Dale,
I have even tried to use wraps of scotch tape to make stock bushings fit better in some tubes. So so results but it did help get rid of some of the slop.

Dale Allen

But you said that they weren't sold as exec bushings right? You've used them for the executive kit in the past though?

I don't recall what kit I had originally bought them for but it doesn't matter.
The current exec kit I have is the only such kit I have ever had.
My OP was about the fact that the bushings had always fit the brass tube for any kit that called for a 3/8" drill bit.
But this kit, which calls for a 3/8" bit, is not the same in that the bushings fit too loose inside the brass tube.
None of this matters now anyway as I have solved the problem...let's move on!

Dale Allen

Here is the Executive pen I was working on during this adventure.
That is a piece of spalted pecan, not stabilized!
I think Ed was trying to challenge me with this one as that big knot in the side made turning it a bit of a pain.
I'll carry this one for a while and see how I like it.
Has a nice weight to it and a stout twist mech.

Attachments

• exec.jpg
    exec.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 118
Top Bottom