Between centers: your best practices

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

OK, I just got some new live/dead centers from johnnycnc and played with some new bushings I had - what a difference some decent centers make!

So before I go too far, what are your best practices in turning between centers? I guess I'm mostly interested in the "end game":
  • What do you do where the blank and bushing meet? Run a scraper along the seam until you start grinding metal?
  • How about your CA finish - do you use your same bushings while you're adding multiple layers of CA, or do you swap for some older bushings, or what is it - Delrin washers? Do you do something to cut away the CA from the bushing?

I'd like to improve my game in the new year, so I'm curious how you folks work on the endings.

Happy New Year to you all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
[*] How about your CA finish - do you use your same bushings while you're adding multiple layers of CA, or do you swap for some older bushings, or what is it - Delrin washers? Do you do something to cut away the CA from the bushing?

I am in a similar situation to you, trying to improve my pens by starting to turn between centers. I believe some people remove the bushings for finishing and just have the centers holding the blank with nothing else attached. I suppose this would eliminate the bushing problem of getting stuck but you will then get glue on your centers.

Just a thought,
Good luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
SANDING:
I take the bushings off when I am very close to the size wanted. Place the turned blank (without the bushings) back on the centers and sand down to final size.

This eliminates 1. the dreaded "bushing dust", and the sanding down of bushings. Bushings are generally considered "consumables because of the sanding down effect. However, THIS method eliminates the bushings becoming "consumables", and as such, higher priced one time purchase bushings come with a higher tolerance and improved centered perfection.

FINISHING:
Same process as above - no finish on bushings, also helps when doing oily wood. Oily woods often cause CA finishes to "lift" at the ends when the bushings are separated. But this eliminates that problem.

BLANKS and Bushings:
I sand the tubed blanks flush with a Thomas Mill Sander.

GoodTurns

what Hank said....my only change is to add a piece of blue painters tape to my live and dead centers before finishing in order to keep the glue off the equipment.

rherrell

I just use the bushings to get close, .020" or so, and then remove them and put the blank on some Delrin centers I make. This makes it real easy to remove them frequently for accurate measurements and the CA won't stick to the Delrin.
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• iap.jpg
    iap.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 290

leehljp

Member Liaison
Acetone quickly desolves the CA from Bushings. Small glass jar or plastic alcohol bottle works great.
Lester

Lester,

In this context, the build up of CA is referring to the fact that the CA on the blank has built up and is a full layer from the blank across onto the bushings - so the problem is how to separate the bushing from the blank. Some people make washers, some cut it with an X-acto or razor knife, and some go bushing-less for this part.

You are right - the acetone will dissolve the CA buildup on bushings - as far as cleaning the bushings themselves.

Top Bottom