Between centers---Tool rest size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I got some supplies from Johnny CNC to start turning between centers, but found my 6" tool rest way too long to get close to the workpiece on my Powermatic. What do you folks use for a tool rest? Looks like 4" would be just about right.

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Yes, small custom made ones work very nice. I have a 2", 3", 4" 5" 6" and an 8" that I made (plus a 12" and my bowl rest)

If you take stock the size of your banjo, you can hold it in your scroll chuck and drill a hole to tap it to 1/4"-20 Now pick up some angle iron and cut one to length. Drill a hole in the angle iron and using a hardened grade 8 bolt and a "star" lock washer, bolt it on nice and tight.

If you drill a clearance hole in a block of wood, sand a relief on the corner that fits into the inside of the angle iron and add two small holes on the bottom of the andle iron you can screw the wood down. (you could glue the wood to the tool rest too if you like)

On mine, I welded them in the same manner as the bolt method I mentioned, but this can be done with very little in tooling. If you have a steel supplier in your area you can ask them to cut metal stock to the length you need it and it will noct cost you all too much. You should be able to get five posts for under $10 or $20 all cut to length. You could cut it youself, and make a jig on your lathe to hold the stock 90 degrees to a wood face plate with sandpaper to square it up if you do not have a disk sander.

This should give you an idea how to make them for the cost of some metal and a 1/4-20 tap.
lathe-rest-1.jpg

These were my first ones, I later decided that they were better with the wood flat from edge to edge like a triangle.
BTW, these tool rests use the metal edge of the angle iron and while you do not "need" the wood, they sure seem nicer with the infill than left blank. :D
lathe-rest-6.jpg

Lee,
I just looked at the pictures of your shop... I haven't seen a Brace & bit set up that nice since I used to play in my father's shop about 50 ++ years ago..

p.s.... always got scolded for messing with Dad's tools.. he didn't share well!:(

Dan_F

Well, I THOUGHT you guys must be doing something different!

Lee---Thanks for the directions and pics of your tool rests. I'm sure I can come up with something along those lines. We have a metal supplier here is town that is quite reasonable, and will cut things to order.

Dan

Firefyter-emt

No problem Dan... I help when I can! Once of these days if I ever get that milling attachment set up so I can use it on my metal lathe, I would like to be able to mill flat spots on round stock and make some of those round "T" bar tool rests. Those are very simple to make that way and I would love to offer them up, but I need the milling set up first.

Chuck, those braces are amazing. They are my first line of I need to drill a large deep hole. They laugh at 1/2" drills with spade bits!
For those wondering "what the heck is a "brace & bit" Here is the photo chuck refered to.
The brace is the hand drill, the bit is a special screw tiped drill bit that has a tapered 4 sided head the drill latches on to. Awesome tools if you have a nice sharp bit.
Brace-8.jpg

bbqncigars

Nice brace there, but you forgot to mention my favorite bit for it: the Irwin adjustable bit. Man, I love that thing. I also have a few spoon bits that still cut well.

Wayne

Top Bottom