A better way? (inlay question)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NLAlston

I was wondering if there was a better, easier way to go about my inlaying aim. *Allow me to explain what I wish to arrive at, and how I am (presently) going about it. *I wish to inlay a Cross into a pen blank. *The blank is Paudauk, and the Cross will be Maple. *

The pen blank (having already been sized for the tube) will have a 1/2" section cut off from each end. *The blank will, then, have a kerf-width groove cut through its length, at about 3/8" deep. *

A Maple strip would be cut, to fit the width & length of that groove, then glued and inserted. *About a third of the way down, a horizontal groove would be cut, and also filled with the same (Maple) material.

As I wouldn't want the cross-beam of the Cross to remain so long, I would trim both sides in, which would reduce that span.

I would then rip some properly sized Paudauk strips, to glue them on to the sides of the blank; *which would make all sides of the blank 3/4", again.

Then, I'd glue back on the 1/2" top, and bottom pieces that had, previously been cut off.

*Might*there be a better way for me to achieve my goal? *I would really like to make a nice, Christian themed pen for my Mother, and Mother-in-law, for this upcoming Mothers Day.

Last edited:

NLAlston

I'd also like to apologize for all those asterisks showing through my previous post. I had typed on my IPad (Notes), copied & pasted into my initial post. But I think I've learned not to do THAT, again :).

Last edited:

jimmyz

I have two suggestions for you to try. I have used both.

The first is to cut two blanks from the padauk, 3/4 x 3/8 x length of blank.
Then draw the cross on one of the blanks. Take the blank to your scrollsaw, if you have one, and cut out the cross. Then cut the maple strips to size and glue them in place. Glue the two pieces of padauk together. Drill, turn, and finish the blank.

The second way would be to prepare a 3/4 x 3/4 x length of blank. Draw the cross out on one side of the blank. Use a Dremmel tool to cut out the cross and fill with the maple strips. You may have to square up the corners with a sharp chisel or knife. A router with an 1/8" bit and jig could also be used to cut out the cross.

I have also used colored epoxy to fill the void for the cross. That works out well too. In any event, make sure the recess is deep enough so the cross shows up when you turn the blank! Good luck and show us the resulting pen.

NLAlston

I have two suggestions for you to try. I have used both.

The first is to cut two blanks from the padauk, 3/4 x 3/8 x length of blank.
Then draw the cross on one of the blanks. Take the blank to your scrollsaw, if you have one, and cut out the cross. Then cut the maple strips to size and glue them in place. Glue the two pieces of padauk together. Drill, turn, and finish the blank.

The second way would be to prepare a 3/4 x 3/4 x length of blank. Draw the cross out on one side of the blank. Use a Dremmel tool to cut out the cross and fill with the maple strips. You may have to square up the corners with a sharp chisel or knife. A router with an 1/8" bit and jig could also be used to cut out the cross.

I have also used colored epoxy to fill the void for the cross. That works out well too. In any event, make sure the recess is deep enough so the cross shows up when you turn the blank! Good luck and show us the resulting pen.

Thanks much, Jimmy. I will certainly try both of your, provided, approaches.

Top Bottom