Better Quality Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dentil

I really enjoy turning pens (advanced beginner). However, I have also been disappointed by some of the pen kits. The durability of the pens I create is not great. The finish quickly chips off the metal parts and the mechanisms aren't very sturdy (even some of the more expensive kits from Penn State etc). I was wondering if I might obtain some advice from a veteran about some better quality pen hardware kits and sources. I'm not really looking for overly ornamental designs...I would just like a good solid pen kit.

Thanks so much!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
As most members here would recommend, I suggest you check out the Vendors and look at them. They generously support our community and offer some great kits.

Last edited:

thewishman

I only use components with durable platings - chrome, rhodium, titanium - to ensure that my pens look good for a long time.

Berea Hardwoods is my first choice for pen parts. You can get them at any of these vendors:

Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods
Exotic Blanks
Bear Tooth Woods
Also at Woodcraft

Another favorite source for higher-end stuff:
Pen Making, Bowl Turning, Wood Lathes, Wood Blanks, and Turning Tools for Woodturners | Craft Supplies USA

All of the above offer very good quality and good service.:)

Dan Masshardt

I really enjoy turning pens (advanced beginner). However, I have also been disappointed by some of the pen kits. The durability of the pens I create is not great. The finish quickly chips off the metal parts and the mechanisms aren't very sturdy (even some of the more expensive kits from Penn State etc). I was wondering if I might obtain some advice from a veteran about some better quality pen hardware kits and sources. I'm not really looking for overly ornamental designs...I would just like a good solid pen kit. Thanks so much!!

What kits / finishes gave you had a problem with? I'm guessing gold plating is involved in at least some of these. ?

Justin H

From my experience (which isn't a whole lot), anything with a gold plating that does not include "Ti" or titanium in the plating description will not last long. No matter where you buy the kit. Gold is just to soft to stand alone on a high-use item.

The titanium mix platings are more expensive, but more durable as well. If you want less expensive, yet durable use chrome. I've had decent luck with gun-metal as well, but it's hit and miss.

I recently bought a couple of platinum Sierra's but I'm afraid to put them together for this exact reason... I don't want to spend that much money on a kit (although I thought they were reasonable) and have it make me angry by wearing away. Nor do I want to put it on a stand and never use it. lol

kovalcik

+1 on the Ti-Gold finish. That is my favorite. You may also want to take a look at the offerings from Lazerlinez. His are stainless steel and wear well.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I really enjoy turning pens (advanced beginner). However, I have also been disappointed by some of the pen kits. The durability of the pens I create is not great. The finish quickly chips off the metal parts and the mechanisms aren't very sturdy (even some of the more expensive kits from Penn State etc). I was wondering if I might obtain some advice from a veteran about some better quality pen hardware kits and sources. I'm not really looking for overly ornamental designs...I would just like a good solid pen kit.

Thanks so much!!
Low cost kits that are durable would be chrome and black chrome a little more durable and also higher priced would be Gold Titanium Nitride (GTN or GTi), Black Titanium Oxide (BTi) and Rhodium. Not quite as durable but usually pretty good Gun Metal and Copper, Stainless Steel is also very durable.

Chrome is as good a finish as you will ever need in a pen and Black Chrome is just slightly less durable and they are much less expensive than the titaniums or rhodium. Personally I don't think you gain much by using Rhodium as opposed to chrome - an average user probably won't even notice the difference in brightness and neither is likely to show much wear..

Where to get them? Truth of the matter is just about anywhere. You won't see a lot of difference in pen kits in a given price range from one vendor to the next. You might well see a difference in service. Virtually all of the vendors at this site try to provide good products and excellent service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom