Better Quality 15/32 and 25/64 Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I like the Barons, Virages, etc, but I am looking for something closer to the Jr. Aaron, Antony, George, etc. in terms of quality. For example, if the Jr, Aarons, Antonys, Georges, etc came in 15/53 and 25/64, that is what I would be interested in. I am not looking for the Barons, etc. in a better finish - they all work great, just looking for something a little better (like the one Jr. series that I mentioned).

Thanks!

PS. I am also aware and have made the Cabellero. I am not looking for that.

Thanks again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I believe that there are a number of kits that use those particular drill sizes besides the ones you mentioned: Jr Gent (original, not the II), Sedona, Tycoon, Rinehart, Orion, Metro, Navigator & Newport.

I don't know what finishes are available on all these, but the Tycoon is available in Rhodium.

jttheclockman

Tony

15/53"???? :biggrin:

Not sure what exactly you are looking for but I would leave the tube size out of it and just focus on the look of the kit. If it fits your eye then go from there. I like the Jr Majestic kits and even the full size majestic kits. Barons and Statesman always are nice kits. Plain and simple. You let the blank do the talking is how I look at it. My all time favorite kit is the Imperial. But just about any of the Dayacom kits are really nice and good quality.

TonyL

Thanks Ed/John. I am familiar with those, and made many. I meant 15/32 (upper barrel) as I wrote in the subject line - sorry.

This what I want to see: For example, if the Jr, Aarons, Antonys, Georges, etc came in 15/53 and 25/64, that is what I would be interested in. I am not looking for the Barons, etc. in a better finish - they all work great, just looking for something a little better (like the one Jr. series that I mentioned).

Perhaps, what I am looking for doesn't exist.

magpens

I find the Rinehart hard to assemble ... getting all the six-sided facets lined up together at the same time and the clip as well ... it's quite the challenge.

I like it though.

But we are diverging somewhat from Tony's subject ... actually, I am not quite sure what Tony's subject is.

Is it that you would like to see kits with more "meat" on the barrels ? ... greater wall thickness around the brass tubes ? . If that's what you mean, I would like that too. . The Spring Blossom (from Timberbits) has a "meaty" lower barrel (moreso than the Emperor to which it is otherwise comparable except in quality). . And the Celticus Master (from Woodpenpro) also has that I believe. . But it is hard to get a meaty upper barrel because that barrel is big already, from having to be designed to fit over the nib end of the lower barrel.

Last edited:

TonyL

You know how the Jt Gent IIs and the like have a 12.5 mm and 10.5 mm barrel, and the Barons, Tycons, Sedona, Rhinehardt,etc. have slightly narrower barrels (15/32 and 25/64)? I am looking for a kit(s) similar in "quality to the Jr Aaron, Jr Gerorge's etc., all of which have 12.5 mm and 10.5 mm barrels, in the smaller diameter 15/32 and 25/64 barrels. It is very likely that few understand my question because I don't know what I am talking about. :).

Anyway, thank you and I will keep hunting. Back to my day job :).

BSea

I agree with Tony. I don't think I've found the quality in the smaller Jr Gent I sized kits like we find in the slightly larger Jr Gent II sized kits.

I've had several problems with the smaller kits. It just doesn't seem that they are as well made. I do like the size of the kits, but I quit making them because of the problems.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I agree with Tony. I don't think I've found the quality in the smaller Jr Gent I sized kits like we find in the slightly larger Jr Gent II sized kits. I've had several problems with the smaller kits. It just doesn't seem that they are as well made. I do like the size of the kits, but I quit making them because of the problems.

I don't really have problems with the baron line but I don't like the black threads.

I'm happy with the rhinehart quality overall but it kind of limits its market with the design I think.

For me the size between the baron and Jr gent is noticeable enough that I can see having the smaller offering

I like the virage too but the one big bushing makes it a little bit thicker at the bottom.

magpens

Staying with the Baron for the moment, I went to the Berea website and found:

a) for Upgrade Gold, going from the RB to the FTN pen the price rises by $0.85

b) for Titanium Gold, going from the RB to the FTN pen the price rises by $6.00

Why? . Is there a difference in the nib between the Upgrade Gold kit and the Titanium Gold kit?

Looked at another way:

c) for the RB kits going from Upgrade Gold to the Titanium Gold the price rises $10.40

d) for the FTN kits going from Upgrade Gold to Titanium Gold the price rises $15.55

Why the greater price rise for the FTN? Again, is there a difference in the FTN nib between the Upgrade Gold kit and the Titanium Gold kit?

BTW, based on a) it seems that the cost of the RB nib + refill is fairly close to the FTN nib + converter for the Upgrade Gold kits.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Staying with the Baron for the moment, I went to the Berea website and found:

a) for Upgrade Gold, going from the RB to the FTN pen the price rises by $0.85

b) for Titanium Gold, going from the RB to the FTN pen the price rises by $6.00

Why? . Is there a difference in the nib between the Upgrade Gold kit and the Titanium Gold kit?

Looked at another way:

c) for the RB kits going from Upgrade Gold to the Titanium Gold the price rises $10.40

d) for the FTN kits going from Upgrade Gold to Titanium Gold the price rises $15.55

Why the greater price rise for the FTN? Again, is there a difference in the FTN nib between the Upgrade Gold kit and the Titanium Gold kit?

BTW, based on a) it seems that the cost of the RB nib + refill is fairly close to the FTN nib + converter for the Upgrade Gold kits.
My guess would be supply and demand but only Berea Hardwoods can answer that question.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You know how the Jt Gent IIs and the like have a 12.5 mm and 10.5 mm barrel, and the Barons, Tycons, Sedona, Rhinehardt,etc. have slightly narrower barrels (15/32 and 25/64)? I am looking for a kit(s) similar in "quality to the Jr Aaron, Jr Gerorge's etc., all of which have 12.5 mm and 10.5 mm barrels, in the smaller diameter 15/32 and 25/64 barrels. It is very likely that few understand my question because I don't know what I am talking about. :).

Anyway, thank you and I will keep hunting. Back to my day job :).
Are you looking for "bling"? heavier clips? Some one to develop a high priced Caballero/Baron/Jr Gent 1/etc.? Berea Hardwoods Sedona and probably others do use the drill bits you're looking for.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks folks. I don't think what I am looking for exists (yet). I have tried and had success with the kits that you all mentioned. For those that are familiar with these:

DAYACOM INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD

These all (the above) use 12.5 and 10.5 mm tubes (Jr Gent II tubes...at least the OD).

I would like to see this "quality" (weight, materials, polish, fit, designs, etc.) in a smaller diameter kit. Obviously all in proportion to the smaller size kit.

Using the Jr Gent naming convention, I guess they would all be identified as using Jr Gent 1 bushings/drills. Maybe, they just call it Jr Gent (as opposed to Jr Gent 1 ).

I see they have many more kits on their site, maybe some use the 15/32 and 25/64 tubes. I couldn't easily find that info out from the site.

Thanks again. I did not intend for this to be an advertisement for Dayacom. I was just using their Jr. series as a point of reference.

Good night :).

TonyL

I just emailed them. I am sure I will get an email shortly, and they will probably direct me to their "Baron-type" kits. As I mentioned, I like the Baron in fact, I am making two now, and a Virage, I was just wishing they were more their $20 to $30 kits. Naturally, I would expect to pay more.

I think I have beaten this horse to death, gave it CPR, beaten it again, and exhumed it. :).

jttheclockman

Oh lets beat it up some more Tony:) Are you being asked by clients for this type pen or is this on your wish list??? I ask because most people who buy pens can not make that distinction. They will notice large pens such a full size majestic when it is put next to a JR majestic. If it is on your wish list I suggest you talk to that guy in Hawaii that orders from Dayacom and seems he has an in to design pens. Dave at Timberbits may also listen to you. The guy that designs pens for PSI is a member here and I do not remember his name. I do remember him making a statement about if there are problems that he would look into them for us because PSI was changing their outlook. Would have to do a search for those threads. Or maybe even talk to Lazer-line. He designs pens. Or bottom line make your own. Enough info here to do this. Just some thoughts. I thought i saw that horse still kicking a bit.:)

TonyL

Funny. That was the horse begging me to let it die. Both clients and me personally. I am using more expensive blank and want to match it with a better quality pen (psychological thing) I would prefer something smaller as a cross between a desk and carry to work pen. I work from home in my pajamas, but I like a nice pen. Lol. Lastly, 70% of my clients are women and I can get a lot more for a better quality pen. At 20 bucks a pop, I would buy 25 even if I didn't sell one.

Sprung

Tony, I would actually like to see the same thing on the market. My favorite high quality kits are all JG II sized. I give away more pens than I sell (by a large margin) and most ladies gravitate toward the JG I sized kits. I usually use a Baron or Caballero for that sized pen, which have proven themselves to be overall decent kits.

But, like you, I would love to see something along the lines of the quality of the Jr. Aaron or the George or the Jr. Morgan or Jr. Retro kits in a little bit smaller pen. Personally, I prefer a larger pen for my big paws, but I would definitely be in the market for an occasional JG I sized kit in quality higher than is currently available in the JG I sized kits that use the 15/32 and 25/64 tubes. I know I wouldn't be buying a ton of them, but I would definitely buy them. Right now I think of my JG I sized offerings as my lowest level of rollerball/fountain pen offerings.

TonyL

OK. I will let those that are interested know. Like you, even if I gave everyone away or used them myself, I would not be disappointed.

Sprung

I would agree with Tony's post - #15.

I would also add:
1. Cast clips instead of stamped. Makes a big difference in the feel.
2. Acme thread, such as on the Dayacom kits, instead of finer threading. Looks better and holds up better. One of the problems I have is that the finer threads can be easily stripped inside the cap, even without abusive use.

JimB

Tony - you can use the new IAP APP to find all the kits that use those bits. Just enter both drill bit sizes, separated by a space, into the search field.

TonyL

thank you, yes I have it an love it. I consulted PSI, CSUSA, and Dayacom's online catalogs last night. I see many with those dims but not what I am looking for in terms of quality.

I also checked Wooden Pen Pro and a half dozen other retailers. I have been corresponding with Sabina Hsu of Dayacom to see if I missed anything or what their interest is in making/distributing. I will see.

putnamm

I have really enjoyed the Navigator kits. However, I would not consider them "high-end." I'm a newbie, and that was the first rollerball I ever turned. I was so happy with the end result and the ease of assembly that I turned six more! :)

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It sounds like you want a more expensive Baron or Caballero kit. Frankly I don't think there is enough market to develop what you are looking for if it does not already exist. Dayacom could without too much difficulty reduce the size of the tube in some of their kit IF they left the OD of the visible components unchanged, but then the finished pen would look the same. I could make a Caballero heavier or change the clip to a cast clip....but who would pay more for one? Just don't think the market is there for what you would like to see.

keithbyrd

I don't think I saw anyone mention the Jr Statesman kits. I make a lot of those and really like them. CSUSA and exotic blanks usually sell them. Kits generally range in $30-35 range

TonyL

Yes...but that was not what I was looking for. It's similar to most of the mid range priced Jr Antony, George, etc. . It is a very nice pen though. Thanks!

BSea

I don't think I saw anyone mention the Jr Statesman kits. I make a lot of those and really like them. CSUSA and exotic blanks usually sell them. Kits generally range in $30-35 range

They do have the same dimensions but much better quality!
I'm not sure the quality is any better than say a Jr. Retro with the same plating from the same company. They are more ornate, but that doesn't mean the quality is any better. Now, I've only made 1 Jr Statesman, so I'm no expert. So if they are better quality, well . . . . . . nevermind. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom