A Better Epoxy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ok, so this is something that I found awhile back and when George posted a thread about a week ago it got me thinking again about finding a better epoxy. So tonight I renewed my search and I came across this item again, which is Aeropoxy ES6209 A/B Liquid Structural Adhesive: Qt. Kit. It is better than West System according to this article. http://www.jcrocket.com/adhesives.shtml Now, as noted in the article it is only testing one kind of strength, but the Aeropoxy seemed to perform very well compared to the others. It also costs about the same as epoxy bought at Lowes, maybe cheaper. Anyway, I wanted to through this out there for thoughts and/or experiences before buying it. People use it for model rockets and other high strength applications, so it must be pretty good.

Thanks,
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

The test results suggest the choice is a push for pen applications when putting woods together or fastening woods and plastics to brass tubes.

It would be a very specialized application to use structural adhesives in pen making from what I have seen.

None of the tests dealt with machinability for instance --

The test results suggest the choice is a push for pen applications when putting woods together or fastening woods and plastics to brass tubes.

It would be a very specialized application to use structural adhesives in pen making from what I have seen.

None of the tests dealt with machinability for instance --

Ken,

I believe I did not fully understand what you said. Are you saying that for putting in the tubes and segmenting it might be better? I agree that more tests need to be conducted, but it seemed that overall this epoxy has a better chance of being stronger, hopefully longer, than say the 5 min. or even the west system. Any thoughts? I don't have any experience with structural adhesives.

David

KenV

Strength in bond of materials is the primary issue most deal with, and the tensile and shear strength of the glue never comes into play. Shear and tensile strengths are needed when you have a load that requires the adhesive to have the strength. There are not many situations with pen making that makes high strength a significant value in choice.

The discussion in the article is about applications where strength is more important that appearance. I suggest that for pens, appearance is more important than un-needed strength.

Bonding effectiveness (holding capability on dis-similar materials) and appearance are primary objectives in pen segmentation (or segmented turning for that matter).

I have never had a joint failure from adhesive failure in a pen. Have had bond failures, but not a matter of adhesive strength.

Last edited:

underdog

Yes, but do you make laminated pens with aluminum or other hard to bond materials?

That may come into play here... Just a few days ago, some of the guys here were complaining about their laminated pens coming apart after a few years.

***Edit*** Ok, nevermind. I just re-read what you wrote, and I (think I) realize the difference between bond strength and the adhesive strength. One wonders though if they aren't the same...

Last edited:
Top Bottom