better cross refills?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rick_lindsey

I made several pens for christmas, and although most of them have already been given out this year, I'd like to be able to supply a better refill than what comes with the kits. They write fine, but I used one of my father-in-laws cross type pens, and whatever it had in it wrote noticably smoother than the pens i had made (of course mine were much prettier ;) ). I've heard of gel ink parker refills, but I don't know what my options are with a cross refill. Does anyone have a favorite?

Along the same lines, is there a "slimline-esque" parker refill pen that is a relatively inexpensive kit that lends itself to fatline style modification?

thanks!

-Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rick,

I find the Cross type refills that are supplied with the kits work well for me. However, you might consider taking the refill out of your FIL's Cross and see if you can identify it.

No help on the Parker question.

PSI's Slimline Pro Gelwriter pen should take care of your design search, as would a few others that use a Parker-style refill. As for your concern with the Cross-style refill, you can always get genuine Cross refills at Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Target, KMart, WalMart, and probably even a lot of pharmacies. For quantities, check online for Cross refills, or high-quality replacements. Good luck!

Mr Vic

I've been selling my slimlines with the kit refill Installed. For my personal pens I replace the refill with a fine point refill from cross. As Shannon noted, most office supplies carry them or try crosspen.com where they are 4.60 for a pack of two as compared to Staples single for 3.99 but then add postage....

ldb2000

I replace most of my refills with the Fisher Space pen refills , they come in all major refill types . These are the smoothest writing refills I have ever used , and they even write upside down and if you ever get there they will write in zero gravity .:biggrin:

bitshird

I bought some cross style Liquid Silk refills from http://www.penrefillsnow.com. they write similar to a Parker Gel refill, price was pretty decent and the have Blue and Black, also had Parker Gel and ball point refills, but Anthony from the Golden Nib also carries Visconti refills for Parker type pens,

woody350ep

Butch, they TELL you they write in zero gravity. Heck, I could tell you my blood turns green and my face morphs into a spider in zero gravity, but I doubt you would ever be able to prove it lol

andyk

The US spent MILLIONS developing a pen that would write in outer space. The Russians used a pencil....

I personally think the refills that come with the kits to work fine. Maybe the way I scribble that they work fine for me. And I suspect that the refills that we worry about are probably all made by the same company in China, just marked and packaged differently to make us think they are better.. my thoughts only.. no proof.

I do know that back a few years I spent a year as traffic manager for an electronics company in Northern Calif... we manufactured telephone switching equipment under our own name, but we also did a couple of systems under other names for a couple of resellers... our sales people tried to sell our systems to a couple of major companies, but their response was they liked the machines made by "ABC" or "XYZ" company better.. some feature or other they had... it was the exact same machine as the one we were trying to sell, we just put a different label on it before shipping. The name meant more than the product.
Keep in mind that I am a cynic about brand names anyway... if it works, it don't really matter what you call it....

woody350ep

I'm with you Chuck, but sometimes certain brands just "feel" better to me. I am not a brand name guy, and if it is the same material going into it, then it wouldn't matter if nobody told you. There are a few things though, that I just won't mess with being "cheap". I don't know if that is anything to do with pens or not, as I haven't paid attention to good refills enough to know yet. All in time though

Top Bottom