Bethlehem Olivewood from Woodpens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I've purchased BOW from three different suppliers in the past, including the Holy Lands folks who have outrageous shipping charges and are about as slow as molasses at shipping. The quality of the wood was fairly variable, some having almost no dark drain at all. I needed to order some more and this time I ordered from Jim Lambert, woodpens. I got the blanks yesterday and was absolutely amazed.[:O] They are absolutely stunning, every peice loaded with beautiful figure and lots of contrast.[:p] If you want the best BOW around, order from Jim. I won't buy it anywhere else again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I believe someone once said Jim is a reseller for the Holy Land folks, who BTW, are good folks. I'm not surprised shipping is high for small orders from Israel. As to variances in the wood, just reading about what they (HL folks) have to do to harvest makes that understandable. They get what they can and ship the best available at the time. (If it is correct) Jim being a wholesaler/importer, you/we might be better off buying from him. He might have a deal for the better selections. Need someone to chime in here with facts, I'm working on memory.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I too am a reseller of BOW for, I assume, the same supplier. The grain can vary from batch to batch. The length of time for shipping believes, I think, on what they have in stock at the time you order. If they have it in stock , the shipping is usually about a week to 10 days,. If they are out, it depends on when their next shipment is due.

cigarman

I have ordered several times from the Holy Land floks and have recieved some really great blanks. Not all blanks are created equal but for the most part they have been great. As for them being slow, there is a war going on there you know. Shipping from that part of the world is difficult. If you do experience trouble contact them and they will notify you what the hold up is. Also I have ordered some from Jim when in a hurry and his supply is also very good. But I like to tell my customers that I ordered their wood from Isrial.

cozee

Thanks for the comments and links concerning BOW. Although very new to turning pens, I will be in the near future ordering some BOW blanks. I Have several friends in the ministry and like most, wanting to turn a few gifts for them!!!

ilikewood

I've been to Bethlehem Israel to visit the Holy Land folk who supply the wood to us. Diane and Ghasen Darwesh are two of the nicest people around and will work as hard for you as possible.

Their supply is patchy because they use the trimmings from the yearly cutting of the olive trees. Depending on the season, they will have plenty and other times, it is hard for them to get. I know that whenever a chainsaw is fired up, they are on the move to see if wood is available. The wood also requires several years of drying (air) as it is very wet and dries slow.

You can put your trust in these people for a great supply of wood.

hey all, i just got my order of BOW from the holyland and it did take awhile but it was worth it. they are just beautiful. i can't wait to turn them. they came with boxes made from the same wood. i would wait again.

laurie

woodbutcher

BOW has always been good to me. I usually order 100 blanks at a time. They sometimes use a local paper to fill in the empty spaces. I can't read it but it makes a good conversation starter in the shop. If you go to their website they also sell and ship live olive trees. I'm thinking of getting a few for around the property.
Jim

JimGo

Lester, try here:
www.bethlehemolivewood.com

But, as has been pointed out above, there are domestic suppliers who resell the wood from these people, and you can get it both faster and at a more reasonable shipping price (IIRC WRT the shipping price) from the domestic suppliers.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Gasan and his finger?

arioux

Hi,
Dont't want to hijack the post but i just notice that there is a photo in their site that come from this site. It's in the penblanks section, the photo of the perfume pens, it's an Old Griz photo from his album here. I'll drop him a email, just to make shure he is aware of it.

Edited to add:

Tom Mulane confirm that they have permission.
Alfred

meshel

I have some Olive wood I harvested from a fallen tree, let me tell you the pictures I took, do not do it justice...
It is sad when such a thing happens (a 300+ years old tree dying), but the possibilities are huge. This is not Bet Lehem Olivewood, but it is from Israel - where I live, and Israel is quite full of this wood, you will see pictures of the scenery in my village.

You can see the pictures of the tree here:
http://www.eshel.us/OliveTree/index.html

I'm a begining pen turner, and only turned one pen from my olive wood stock up to now...
http://picasaweb.google.com/meshel/MyCreatedPens

Some of the pens created by my friend Chuck - who got some blanks from me when he came to visit:
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/details.php?image_id=4399
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/details.php?image_id=4400

Enjoy!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Meshel,

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your village. I really appreciate your providing the link. I don't know why I was surprized to see cactus, but I was. Sad to see an old tree die, but it looks like it will be put to good use.

Nice start on penturning.

Kaspar

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Lester, try here:
www.bethlehemolivewood.com

But, as has been pointed out above, there are domestic suppliers who resell the wood from these people, and you can get it both faster and at a more reasonable shipping price (IIRC WRT the shipping price) from the domestic suppliers.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Gasan and his finger?

I believe that he lost that tip of his finger. But someone (from Tejas, I think) send him a new table saw. One built in this century, with saftey guards and such. Ghasan's shop is "humbly equipped."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom