Bethlehem olive wood question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I bought certified Bethlehem olive wood at the Georgia symposium in September. I was cutting it into Slimline size blanks and noticed something unusual, to me, in the wood. There are spots of light colored wood. Any idea what it is? Hopefully, it won't affect the final turned blank. Thanks.
Edit: I pressed on the spots with a #2 pencil and they aren't soft as I thought they might be.

Attachments

• IMG_20171204_104641365.jpg
    IMG_20171204_104641365.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 437
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

If it was the mesquite I get near Tucson, it would be frass. the leavings of boring larvae in the tubes they carve out. There is no scale, and those could be quite large. Mesquite bore holes get to 1/2 inch or so.

If frass -- two choices -- soak in very thin CA glue to hold in place or dig it out and fill with tinted epoxy.

Much of the olive from that part of the world is tree trimmings so it could just be early decay too.

Woodchipper

I'll turn them and see what I get. Just disappointed in the quality of the olive wood. If push comes to shove, I'll turn off the wood and glue to salvage the tube for other projects.
I'm surprised at the symmetry of the spots- perfectly round. The blank is covered in wax so it's hard to tell. It looks like the spots follow the grain.

Last edited:

PenPal

I agree unusual quality fail in this timber. In aussie burl it would be deteriorated timber and I give it the boot. So much better to deal with Bethlehem direct on the for sale (this forum) where you get by description and pictures IMHO.

Peter.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks like micro aliens made some crop circles! :biggrin:

Actually looks like some decay spalting (or worm bore) but I have not seen that on BOW.

robutacion

I may be wrong but Olive wood don't decay much at all and not like that, it seems to me that, some sort of acid drops, the spread is consistent with liquid drops and depending what it was, it could have left such markings, you also mentioned that the piece was covered with wax all over, the wax may have accentuated the reaction of the drops.

If this is the case, the penetration would be minimal of 5 to 10mm, if you have enough length, I suggest you cut a 1/2" slice on that end and see if it goes further.

I will be interested in seeing this test done as a self-curiosity thing...!

Cheers
George

Woodchipper

George, I'm more concerned about how far the spots are inside. I'm going to turn it today and see what it looks like. I cut to length and the spots are visible on all three pieces- two are blank length and the one is the extra wood left over.

Woodchipper

I put one piece on the lathe and turned it. Waste of $18!!!! If you look at the tool rest, you will see the fine powder from the bad spots.

Attachments

• IMG_20171205_094411510.jpg
    IMG_20171205_094411510.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 228

zig613

I put one piece on the lathe and turned it. Waste of $18!!!! If you look at the tool rest, you will see the fine powder from the bad spots.

As suggested in a previous post, the woody powder looks like frass and the large round tunnel looks like it is from some type of large wood borer.

Wade

Woodchipper

Yep, save it for the burn pile and look elsewhere for BOW. Can't remember who I bought it from at the GA woodturning symposium in September. Thanks to all for your replies.

KenV

I dig the frass out and if it cleans up fairly well, you can epoxy fill (black tinted epoxy looks good) or get a caster to recast with alumilite resin. Olive is a good looking wood that makes a decent hybrid

Woodchipper

SWMBO says I got it at Woodcraft along with a lot of other stuff. Will take it back and see how they will handle it. They are pretty good at customer service. Plus- today, discovered a Slim Line kit that is short the gold band.

robutacion

SWMBO says I got it at Woodcraft along with a lot of other stuff. Will take it back and see how they will handle it. They are pretty good at customer service. Plus- today, discovered a Slim Line kit that is short the gold band.

I was obviously very wrong with my assessment and for that I apologise.

Is clear that the damage was caused by some type of wood borer infestation and that is a very serious matter if the wood came from Bethlehem already infected, the supplier can be in big trouble and all his wood need to be inspected for further signs of this contamination, poison or burning are the only 2 solutions but in more cases than not, the wood is already very affected becomes useless and fire is the answer.

Now, if the wood left the supplier overseas without any contamination this means that the problem was developed where it was store after arrival to USA soil, this can become quite messy, Customs in the USA will take no prisoners in cases like this, such infestation of this type of woodborer can easily contaminate any other woods that are store close-by so, your first contact point should be the store you purchased them from, let's see what they say and more importantly what they will do.

Olive wood is very resilient to most wood bores infestation, some will attack the under the bark wood but never go deep and the holes are very tiny while the ones shown on your pic are identical to some we have here and that attack the softer woods, some grabs make holes where I can fit my little finger and they also close the hole as they go, similar to the ones of that Olivewood blank.

Having your money back should have no issues whatsoever, what will happen after that, would be something that I would be very much interested in follow if all possible.

Keep us posted, please.

Cheers
George

Woodchipper

George, there was no evidence of any critters in the wood but the powder in the voids say they were there at one time. I knew there was something wrong when I got that fine dust when turning. We will be going to Chattanooga soon and will take it by WC and show them so they can substitute something else or replace it, which will be closely inspected.

Top Bottom