Bethlehem olive wood question - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I may be wrong but Olive wood don't decay much at all and not like that, it seems to me that, some sort of acid drops, the spread is consistent with liquid drops and depending what it was, it could have left such markings, you also mentioned that the piece was covered with wax all over, the wax may have accentuated the reaction of the drops.

If this is the case, the penetration would be minimal of 5 to 10mm, if you have enough length, I suggest you cut a 1/2" slice on that end and see if it goes further.

I will be interested in seeing this test done as a self-curiosity thing...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

George, I'm more concerned about how far the spots are inside. I'm going to turn it today and see what it looks like. I cut to length and the spots are visible on all three pieces- two are blank length and the one is the extra wood left over.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

I put one piece on the lathe and turned it. Waste of $18!!!! If you look at the tool rest, you will see the fine powder from the bad spots.
Attached Thumbnails
img_20171205_094411510.jpg  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
I put one piece on the lathe and turned it. Waste of $18!!!! If you look at the tool rest, you will see the fine powder from the bad spots.
As suggested in a previous post, the woody powder looks like frass and the large round tunnel looks like it is from some type of large wood borer.

Wade
Old 12-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yep, save it for the burn pile and look elsewhere for BOW. Can't remember who I bought it from at the GA woodturning symposium in September. Thanks to all for your replies.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I put one piece on the lathe and turned it. Waste of $18!!!!

The good news is if that is the most costly mistake you ever make, you have lived a really blessed life.

I am sure it is frustrating though.
Talltim is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

That is a shame but not every turning will be a success. Toss in trash and move on.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

I dig the frass out and if it cleans up fairly well, you can epoxy fill (black tinted epoxy looks good) or get a caster to recast with alumilite resin. Olive is a good looking wood that makes a decent hybrid
KenV is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

SWMBO says I got it at Woodcraft along with a lot of other stuff. Will take it back and see how they will handle it. They are pretty good at customer service. Plus- today, discovered a Slim Line kit that is short the gold band.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
SWMBO says I got it at Woodcraft along with a lot of other stuff. Will take it back and see how they will handle it. They are pretty good at customer service. Plus- today, discovered a Slim Line kit that is short the gold band.
I was obviously very wrong with my assessment and for that I apologise.

Is clear that the damage was caused by some type of wood borer infestation and that is a very serious matter if the wood came from Bethlehem already infected, the supplier can be in big trouble and all his wood need to be inspected for further signs of this contamination, poison or burning are the only 2 solutions but in more cases than not, the wood is already very affected becomes useless and fire is the answer.

Now, if the wood left the supplier overseas without any contamination this means that the problem was developed where it was store after arrival to USA soil, this can become quite messy, Customs in the USA will take no prisoners in cases like this, such infestation of this type of woodborer can easily contaminate any other woods that are store close-by so, your first contact point should be the store you purchased them from, let's see what they say and more importantly what they will do.

Olive wood is very resilient to most wood bores infestation, some will attack the under the bark wood but never go deep and the holes are very tiny while the ones shown on your pic are identical to some we have here and that attack the softer woods, some grabs make holes where I can fit my little finger and they also close the hole as they go, similar to the ones of that Olivewood blank.

Having your money back should have no issues whatsoever, what will happen after that, would be something that I would be very much interested in follow if all possible.

Keep us posted, please.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads