Best woods and finishes for realistic cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I want to make a few realistic cigars, and I have read the library article, which was very good. I am wondering about woods though. I know a lot of people use maple, but none of the maple I have is nearly the right color and then they use buckeye burl for the ash. I have not gone looking for the buckeye yet. I have seen some that look almost perfect color wise and such and some that are perfect shape, but seems the color is off.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
The ones I make are from stabilized blanks, usually. I have made a couple from teak and mahogany and in those cases I used thin CA, maybe 6 or 7 coats then use the 1500 Micro Mesh to dull the surface since "most" real cigars aren't shiny.
WB

plantman

Mahogany is most likely the best choise for a "realistic" looking cigar because of it's straight grain and color. I use African Blackwood for the ash, and after distressing it, I dry brush some red for the embers and gray for the ash itself. Jim S

plantman

I really appreciate the ideas... I guess I need to go cigar shopping as I really do not have the experience to know what is best.. but am thinking mahogany at this point

Mitch; That is the way I started with my first one. I went to the local cigar store and bought a real cigar. This gave me an idea as to the length, roundness, and color. I also looked online and bought some antique cigar bands. They are fun to make and if you display them on an ashtray with gray sawdust for the ash, you can fool most people. Cigar in photos was made from She Oak Burl. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0011 (640x438).jpg
    DSCF0011 (640x438).jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF0012 (640x330).jpg
    DSCF0012 (640x330).jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Top Bottom