Best way to seal ends ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Petricore

I am doing some high end kits with a curly maple that I dye myself with high end food coloring. I want to make darn sure that the colors never bleed out once I've sealed it with my finish (CA) and am wondering what the best way to seal the ends is ? I was thinking about sealing after its finished but worried about it mucking with my finish/fogging it as well as it potentially offsetting the flat surface the hardware mounts to. If I pour a healthy bit of thin CA in there before I square the ends will that be enough ?

Thanks,
Linc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I would think as long as the pen mill is good and sharp, you're using a tight fitting adapter inside the pen tube keeping the mill square, it should mill just fine, but a little CA never hurt.

What do you mean 'bleed' out? I can't see how that would even be possible.

I'd think the #1 thing you'll have to worry about is how 'light fast' that food coloring is.

Some people stabilize colored wood, adding to its...... stability.... but maple is so hard to begin with I don't know it would be needed.

Petricore

Maybe what I'm talking about isnt possible, but in coloring them on the lathe (slow speeds) some color gets wrapped around the sides that isnt sealed in CA. I'd be worried that in hot humid climates (where these are going) that the moisture could potentially reach the excess coloring and possibly bleed out into the pockets or whatnot.
If I'm crazy, GREAT :D
I just dont want these pens I'm selling for 90+ dollars to ruin his real expensive suits.

OH and on the colorfast issue, I got high grade foodcoloring that supposedly has UV inhibitors (used for window displays) so I'm guessing it will be ok.

Skye

Aaaah, you're coloring them on the lathe. Well, I guess I can't help ya there. I would suggest that they're fully dry before you CA them, then hit them with a layer of thin CA as you suggested. It's probably something that's not foolproof but heck, I think any wet pen in someone's pocket is asking for trouble.

Do you have any pics of pens you've dyed in this way?

Petricore

I always let it dry overnight, but it sets up pretty fast. I have some pics, I'll upload em later and post here so you can see. The reason I do it is because its the deepest nicest blue I've ever seen on a dyed pen :)

its_virgil

I would square the ends and use thin CA to soak into the squared end. Then lightly square again to smooth out the CA, if needed. I usually do this each pen I make. I think maybe it helps with moisture moving in and out and possible stopping some woods from cracking. Don't know, but it can't hurt and only takes a minute or so.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
. If I pour a healthy bit of thin CA in there before I square the ends will that be enough ?

Thanks,
Linc

Top Bottom