Best way to remove resin???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

I am doing a large order of Statesman pens and all the blanks are drilled. The wood is Amboyna Burl. When I go to glue the tubes into the blanks I guess resin has made the hole smaller again. I've tried redrilling but that's not a good option because you can do more harm than good and I've tried using a rasp but that takes forever and hurts the hand after a while. Does anyone have any suggestions or tried and true techniques that they use to make sure the tubes will fit?? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

My questions are - Did they fit immediately after drilling? How long has past since originally drilling the blanks? You could be experiencing some shrinking or warpage if a considerable time has past between drilling and fitting, especially if the material is wet or weather is changing a lot. Other than careful redrilling, the only other option would be to make up a flapper sander for your drill press. Small dowel with sand paper strips glued to it. Slide it in the blank and turn it on. Might work. Good luck.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Mike--I just sent you an email. I have a feeling that the humidity difference in Florida may be the culprit. The easiest and most efficient fix is the sandpaper wrapped dowel. It should only take a few seconds each to lightly ream out the blanks. I'd probably use 80 grit to make it more painless.

Rifleman1776

<<"I've tried redrilling but that's not a good option because you can do more harm than good">> That is always a true statement whenever you pick up a tool. Re-drilling is the logical way to go. Only, instead of a brad point, a regular high speed or split point would work better. You might try a bit 1/64th" smaller than the original. A lot of penturners drench the inside of the hole with CA and let dry before glueing in the tube. To insert tube they must redrill as a matter of course. You gotta do what you gotta do.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Yours is a rather common problem and the most common reasons are 2: The wood wasn't as dry as you thought it was, or the wood expanded from heat while drilling and the hole shrank as it cooled.

The drill sizes that are available for some of the larger pens don't allow any room for shrinkage, and there isn't enough wood in the barrel to allow drilling a 1/32" larger hole. Some of them are so tight that using a file to fit the brass tubes is almost a requirement under the best of conditions. The El Grande can be this way if it is made to the kit directions.

Sometimes folks wet the inside of the hole before using a Polyurethane glue, and find that is enough moisture to swell the wood to where the tubes won't fit. Letting the wood dry again will usually solve this one, and not wetting the inside of the hole will keep it from happening. This is how I discovered that Poly Glue will dry perfectly well without adding moisture. The onlt difference is that it takes a little longer.

And, sometimes there is enough fuzz inside the hole from the drilling that the tubes don't fit. A wood rasp easily solves this one.

You can put the blanks in the Microwave and get them hot, and then glue in the tubes before they cool down. The problem is that there may be enough stress on the wood for it to crack when it cools and shrinks around the brass tube. I would try this on a couple blanks before doing it a bunch of them.

You could also use a press-fit of the brass tube into the wood. I have done this and then drizzled some thin CA around the joint to lock them in. The only problem is, again, that there are stresses placed on the wood that can cause cracking later.

The only "safe" solutions that you have now have already been given in other's replies. You can work a sharp drill bit through the holes (preferably by hand) and one that is 1/64" larger would really solve the problem. Wrapping sandpaper around a dowel might be as quick, and easier. Or, you can do it with a wood rasp or a file.

If you are a member of the North Florida Woodturners, you will know Austin Tatum, and I recommend that you contact him. Austin is the best problem solver I know of, and he is the best resource you have in Tallahassee.

A couple tips for next time. Make sure the wood is dry, and don't let it get hot.

It is sometimes better if the wood is "over dry" to below equilibrium when making these larger pens with their tighter fits. The benefit of it being "too dry" is that the wood will expand after it is drilled and the hole will become larger. You can dry the blanks in the oven or use several 1/2 power cycles in the Microwave.

Always drill a 1/4" diameter pilot hole through the blanks before drying to get the internal moisture out. This will also act as a pilot drill for the final drilling.

Make sure the drill is sharp (a new drill is not always sharp), and <b>do not let the wood get hot</b>.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom