Best way to part off wood for CB's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

reef12

Hi all.

What is the best way for us Skew parting tool challenged folks to part of the wood on some of the kits for CB or whatever.

And what is the best way to get the measurement right.

Some kits say measure back 1/8" and remove some want 3/16" parted so what is the best tool for getting it right and accurate.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TAld

I have several different parting tools 1/16", 1/8", and 3/16". etc. so if it calls for one of those sizes I just part it off; however, I have ran across some different size parting instructions. I can't remember which kit (I think Classic Am. Filigree) that calls for 7/16". So I will use calipers or machinist rule to measure it off then set a pair of dividers to that length. Now turn on the lathe and gently place your dividers (one end only) on the blank end then use the other leg to make your starting mark on the blank. Dividers should be of the straight leg type and end should be pointed enough to scribe a nice sharp line. Make certain you keep a nice square shoulder on your part. I always start my parting with at least 1/16" of my blank oversize just in case I mess up then I have a second chance at getting it right. Hope this helps. I don't have a lot of experience yet so others on this forum may have better advice.

Skye

If you're talking about gluing in a wooden CB, I just use a homemade parting tool. It's a crap-o-matic mini skew that comes from HF in a pack of other mini tools. I ground it down to about 45 degrees and use it as a parting tool. I've been known to use a pick if I have to make a small part. Just make do with whatever I have.

Edit, well crud, my post is moot. You're talking about Euro bands. I dont do them because I dont like them, lol

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I"scribe" with the tip of my skew as I usually part off after finishing.
Once I have the line I use anything I have on hand.
My favorite parting tool for thin widths is an old table knife I ground down to a "parting edge".
I have no othre parting thoughts to leave with you.[^]

I usa a quarter inch wood chisel.. at least I think it was a wood chisel once.. ground to look like a mini skew.. been using this since started doing pens...
I turn the cap end down to size, then make the measurement with calipers and sharp pencil then cut the CB tenon with my little chisel. I measure frequently and keep an old scrap CB to check for fit.

reef12

Thanks guy all great answers.

Most hit it on the Head.

Yes want to try one with the part at the center band.

Right here.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1964

Well thanks again[;)]

BigRob777

I recommend that you play with your parting tool and make sure you get one of those thin ones I think they're 1/16". I have turned pens and spindles with them and it helps you to get more accurate with it. I've never turned a tenon with one for a pen though. Like Lou says, practice.... Don't use pen barrels for your practice though. You can just slap up some wood between centers and hack away.

Well, that's enough from this novice.
Merry Christmas,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom