Best Value Pen Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

I am only new to the "Big Bad World Of Penturning" and wish to know what are the best value on pen kits and where are the best places to get them.I don't want very cheap kits or very high end.I know off companies like Bereahardwoods,Woodturningz,PSI and Timberbits which seems to do a lot of the same kits,all at different prices,what is the difference in the kits.My biggest problem is that I live in IRELAND(far away from USA,Australia,Taiwan or China) and shipping cost is very high.Has anyone got any ideas or views?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

I actually have gotten on to some members within our own Chapter, the Midland Chapter of the IWG to see if they would be interested in a group buy similar to the ones here on the forum. It saves on the shipping and reduces the prices of the kits a little if enough are ordered. If we go ahead with one I'll let you know.

As for the best value, it will depend on what style pens you turn. Some of the single tube pens are popular as two can be made from one blank. Some of the 2 tube kits could be a little more expensive but will need a full blank. I guess it all comes down to whether you do this as a hobby or a small business.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think that the prices of kits and the increasing costs of shipping and the more frequent likelihood of being charged import taxes is starting to match the fairly high marked up price of the same kits available in the UK.
Add in the shipping time and the poor exchange rates and buying in the UK is starting to look like a good option.
Axminster and Turners Retreat are slowly expanding their range and supporting them can only be good for turners in UK and Europe in the long run.

Last edited:

edstreet

Make your own! You can turn non-ferrous metals on your lathe then either find a plating service or do your own plating. Also there are plenty of other ways to make the parts that does not involve a lathe.

djjenner

Try Penkits Uk, good selection, reasonable shipping, profits to charity!
They also do some tools, spares, corian blanks and small selection of wood blanks.
Check out their site, you may be pleasently surprised.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am only new to the "Big Bad World Of Penturning" and wish to know what are the best value on pen kits and where are the best places to get them.I don't want very cheap kits or very high end.I know off companies like Bereahardwoods,Woodturningz,PSI and Timberbits which seems to do a lot of the same kits,all at different prices,what is the difference in the kits.My biggest problem is that I live in IRELAND(far away from USA,Australia,Taiwan or China) and shipping cost is very high.Has anyone got any ideas or views?
If you can find a somewhat local importer you'll probably be better off buying from them at least until you can order enough to offset the shipping and any import fees. As to style and/or manufacturer, lots of folks have favorites that work for them - they might or might not work for you. I believe that fountain pens are much more popular in Europe than here in the USA, which could affect your choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom