Best Value High end kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cschimmel

So based on the thread about High end kits disappearing I wanted to ask what you think is the best value in a high end kit and why? Do you sell a particular kit for more than others or do you like to make a certain kit better? Is it materials or what that make you like that kit the best.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I still get a lot of orders for Lotus and Imperials - I still have some of this hardware, so I continue to make them. I really dislike the PSI Majestic series and the Broadwell series and only turn them now on request. I am looking for a Imp supplier or buying them direct.

I have recently started making (last week) the new Tritons from Bear Tooth Woods. I really like this set (it is an "upgraded" Baron with metal threads instead of plastic). They are quite impressive (better platings) and get a lot more lookers than the plastic thread pens. They also fetch a better price than the Barons and Sedonas.

I make a LOT of JR's... I really wish there wasn't such a huge price jump between the Jr. Gent and the Jr. Statesman. Casein, Bakelite and Ebonit Jr. Statesman are currently my best sellers..... But I think the new Trition will compete nicely and will replace the Baron in my shop.

aggromere

my favorite kit is the jr gent II. It has a simple, but i think elegant design to it and when completed as a kit looks like a very fine pen. I started out making emperors, lotus and imperials. I never had much luck at selling them. I guess it is the crowd i attract.

I have just about concluded that as penmakers we have a greater chance for success in selling if we operate in a niche within the custom pen market. It maybe your niche to sell to upscale customers that want the big fancy pens. It just wasn't mine.

Most of my selling success comes from catering to cigar smokers. I make cheap cigar pen kits with wood resembling tobacco and put a cigar label on it. I sell those for $35 to $45 depending on how they come out. I make large double closed end pens that look like cigars and sell those for $100 to $150. I also make some small one piece pens to have on hand. Sometimes a guy buys one for his wife or girl friend. That's about all I do now.

bitshird

The emperor was my favorite. I dislike all of the styles with the cheap pimp stones.

Me too, but I also sold a few imperials and a couple of Lotus, I guess the best now will be the Jr. Statesman, it's reasonable and still makes a beautiful pen, I very much dislike the pens with Pimp Crystals, other than on one or two pens I've seen they cheapen the pen. Remove them and replace it with just about any thing and the kit looks much better.

aweiss44

just put in quite a large order with bear tooth woods, including that new triton. waiting to see it in person to pass judgement but it loked nice for the price

Top Bottom