Best Types of kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

The 2 comes in better plating's, is slightly larger but you pay more for these things. I never have used the 1 so I cannot attest to it's quality but the 2 is excellent quality.

Dan Masshardt

Which are best Jr Gent kit 1 or 2?

2 are undoubtedly the better quality overall. But the 1 is a fraction of the price so with that factored, it's hard to say which is better for you.

I've not tried one yet but the 1 is so dang inexpensive I'm thinking I have to.

I've made quite a few of the baron / navigator kits which appear to look similar to the Jr Gent 1. I'm looking forward to comparing them. Anybody else comment on the comparison here?

Irish Pat

I have a few of the Jr Gent kit 1,not a bad kit for the price,just was wondering what is the difference

Bean_Counter

The 2 is slightly larger than the one in regards to tube size. As said before the 2 has better plating options and the caps finials aren't black

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The 2 was developed as an improvement to the 1. Two top notch platings (Rhodium and Gold TN) are available with the 1 so Roy's comment is a tad off base on that...you may have more of the better platings offered with the two. Given what they are, you need to look at what you might think is the best value for what you spend. You might have a wider selection of vendors with the 2.

Dan Masshardt

The 2 was developed as an improvement to the 1. Two top notch platings (Rhodium and Gold TN) are available with the 1 so Roy's comment is a tad off base on that...you may have more of the better platings offered with the two. Given what they are, you need to look at what you might think is the best value for what you spend. You might have a wider selection of vendors with the 2.

I think you ate the only one who offers the 1 in the better platings right?

Many people loom at the csusa site as the most popular vendor of the kits and there the 1 is not available in the higher end platings.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I think you ate the only one who offers the 1 in the better platings right?

Many people loom at the csusa site as the most popular vendor of the kits and there the 1 is not available in the higher end platings.
I wouldn't know.

OKLAHOMAN

While your 90% right the threading on the posting end isn't plated in Rhodium or Ti Gold from the photos I see. Looks like black coating over brass , Smitty, correct me if I'm wrong.

quote=Smitty37;1568214]The 2 was developed as an improvement to the 1. Two top notch platings (Rhodium and Gold TN) are available with the 1 so Roy's comment is a tad off base on that...you may have more of the better platings offered with the two. Given what they are, you need to look at what you might think is the best value for what you spend. You might have a wider selection of vendors with the 2.[/quote]

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
While your 90% right the threading on the posting end isn't plated in Rhodium or Ti Gold from the photos I see. Looks like black coating over brass , Smitty, correct me if I'm wrong.

quote=Smitty37;1568214]The 2 was developed as an improvement to the 1. Two top notch platings (Rhodium and Gold TN) are available with the 1 so Roy's comment is a tad off base on that...you may have more of the better platings offered with the two. Given what they are, you need to look at what you might think is the best value for what you spend. You might have a wider selection of vendors with the 2.
[/quote]

That's the design Roy... if you get them in 24K gold or chrome the plating on the threads isn't 24K gold or chrome either but you'd still say they were gold or chome...and the male threads would still be black...enamel I think.

I've been told that one of the reasons the 2 was designed was because the metal female threads in use at the time were damaging the black male threads so the plating was changed. Later the metal threads on the 1 (and more recently I think I've heard on the 2 as well) were changed to plastic which cured that problem...the plastic isn't perfect either.

Top Bottom