Best tube color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebfan04

Doing a Sierra, so not much material left on blank. I've got an acrylic with yellow and blue swirl that you can see light thru after drilling. What's the best color to paint tube? Would it be yellow, which isn't a perfect match or white, or would it be best to reverse paint blank a color?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Reverse paint your blanks. Why? Doing so prevents you from seing the bubbles and swirls of the glue through the blanks.

PR_Princess

Ditto on what Shane said. Yellow could turn your blue parts greenish.

Paint a band of yellow on a dowel, next to it one in white. Insert the painted dowel into the hole and see which effect you think you will like better.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
reverse paint????

Paint a band of yellow on a dowel, next to it one in white. Insert the painted dowel into the hole and see which effect you think you will like better.

OK - so I'm dumb - well not dumb, ignorant perhaps is a better word. What is reverse paint. Does that mean paint the inside of the blank?

Last edited:

Pete275

I like your idea so much I think I'll be painting several dowels in the next few days. Great One!:)

PTownSubbie

OK - so I'm dumb - well not dumb, ignorant perhaps is a better word. What is reverse paint. Does that mean paint the inside of the blank?

Affirm, Painting the inside of the drilled out blank prevents the glue or tube from showing through when finished.

omb76

Genius! Why is it the most obvious ideas escape most of us... :confused:

Between your idea here and the ones Ed gave me on the phone last night, I can't wait to get in the shop this weekend and try them out!! :biggrin:

Chasper

If you really want a near perfect match, reverse paint in yellow AND blue. Start with the color that is most transparent. Using a matchnig color, carefully paint the walls of the drilled hole approximately in the area where that color occurs. Let it dry overnight. Then paint the entire inside of the hole the the other color.

I use a Q-tip for painting, pull off up to half of the cotton to get finer details in painting. The same approach works well to put color in any nearly transparent blank. On a whitish nearly transparent blank try putting on a random swirl of a color like blue. Then come back the next day and paint the entire inside with green. It makes for great depth of color.

Last edited:

BSea

I was going to put this up for "Tip of the Week".

If you really want a near perfect match, reverse paint in yellow AND blue. Start with the color that is most transparent. Using a matchnig color, carefully paint the walls of the drilled hole approximately in the area where that color occurs. Let it dry overnight. Then paint the entire inside of the hole the the other color.

I use a Q-tip for painting, pull off up to half of the cotton to get finer details in painting. The same approach works well to put color in any nearly transparent blank. On a whitish nearly transparent blank try putting on a random swirl of a color like blue. Then come back the next day and paint the entire inside with green. It makes for great depth of color.
Now I think it's a tie. But I will be doing both of these in the future.

EDIT: I should say a Tip of the Week for me. I'm sure many of the people who have been around for awhile already know these. But for relative newbies (Like me), these are very helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom