Best tool for cross-cut blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

Was turning a Bocote pen blank that has been cross-cut. Was down to approx 1 mm from the bushings when I had a little bit of chip-out. I was using a sharp skew that had just been honed and was taking thin ribbons of wood. Sharpened a spindle gouge and used it in a shear scraping mode and it still felt precarious. I know that I can just use some 150 or lower grit but is there a tool that will work well in these situations and that can handle fragile timber cut this way?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Skew was the right tool. Just work on perfecting technique and light touches.

And hone the skew often. If the material is delicate I touch it up every couple passes.

GaryMGg

Each individual piece of wood can contain surprises or issues:
The grain running just so, creating a weak seam
A tiny bark inclusion
A weak spot from wind shake
Or
A slip of the tool or too much pressure

When working cross-cut, I like to soak the blank with CA often while turning it.

Tiger

Thanks Dan and Karl, am going to try these suggestions when I finish the other barrel. I do hone regularly but not every couple of passes as I was only taking off such little material, thought I could get a bit more out of the tool before needing re-honing.

Tiger

I have my best luck shear scraping with a skew.

Gary could you please elaborate on this a little, I assume you keep the skew flat on the tool rest, do you remove any burr of the tool before using it? I find that when I use the tool this way it can still grab and sometimes the finish is still a little rough even though I've honed the tool.

Gary Beasley

I'm usually dragging the edge below the centerline and on the heel. It could leave a little roughness but the main thing is to get the shaping done without blowing it up. Sanding gets the rest.

Old Codger

Thanks Gang! I've tried several cross cut Zircote blanks and have chipped all of them out when attempting to square the blanks using a sharp squaring tool set from PSI... Never had this problem before with other blanks and wondered if cross cut Zircote was unusual or just difficult to square up... Will try using my sanding jig to square them up next time!

SDB777

Well for me, I'm the best 'tool' that happens to be holding a skew for crosscut blanks....seriously.

If "I" do my part in taking the correct amount of material off the chunk, with a scary sharp tool and light passes.....then everything works out okay. But if this "tool" tries to get in a rush and use dull tooling...well 'stuff' happens.

Scott (hate lookin' for stuff on the floor) B

randyrls

TC; Before you mount the blank on the lathe, make a puddle of thin CA and dip both ends of the blank into the puddle getting it evenly distributed. Let dry, and make sure to remove any CA that got inside the brass tube with an Exacto knife. The CA strengthens the grain. Any small mperfections will get filled by the CA.

79spitfire

Well for me, I'm the best 'tool' that happens to be holding a skew for crosscut blanks....seriously.

If "I" do my part in taking the correct amount of material off the chunk, with a scary sharp tool and light passes.....then everything works out okay. But if this "tool" tries to get in a rush and use dull tooling...well 'stuff' happens.

Scott (hate lookin' for stuff on the floor) B

This is my experience as well, not only for cross cut, but any difficult blank.
I've tried a couple of "fancy" turning tools and keep going back to a 'scary sharp' skew.

When I say 'scary sharp' I mean too sharp to shave with....

Top Bottom