Best Souvenir Pen Style?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

My old school (grades K-12) was abandoned for quite some time. A few weeks ago, they had an open house and groundbreaking as it's being converted into senior apts. Good use.

I couldn't make it, but a kind soul was able to purchase some pieces of the old bleacher for me. I'd like to make pens out of them and make them available to alumni. I now have a laser engraver, so my plan is to engrave them with the school name (at a minimum.)

What does everyone think is a good style pen kit for this? I haven't picked up the wood yet, but I suspect it's oak of some type. I was considering a single barrel pen, since the wood would go further, but I'm not sure yet.

I'd like something nice, but not too expensive, I don't plan to make money (or not much at least) on this, I want to keep the cost reasonable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

What about PSI's executive, parker style, single barrel, 3/8 tube, longer area for engraving. and feels pretty good in the hand.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I like the Sierra clones also - lots to choose from & you could even offer several styles/finishes if you want some variety.

Depending on what you want to engrave on them though, a longer tube kit like the PSI Executive or the PSI Falcon might be a better choice.

There are also some nice single-barrel rollerball kits if you want to offer a slightly higher-end option. A couple that come to mind are the Zen and Magnetic Vertex.

KenV

It is a two piece - but the modified cigar as shown in the Library presents nice lines, a good area for engraving, and a moderate cost.

Will look good with a straight grained wood such as would have been used in outdoor construction.

RobS

You can get cigar kits on Amazon for $3.5 if you buy in packs of 10.
PM me if you need more info.
I like the cigar style it's a nice heavy larger grip pen.

vtgaryw

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never made a PSI Executive, but I like the look of it.

I do a lot of Sierra styles (my kit of choice is the Mesa from WoodTurningz), but I wanted to look at alternatives.

I like Cigar styles, but I'm looking for something that would be equally appealing to men and women, and a lot of women seem to think the cigar is too big (although the barrel of a Sierra is just as fat.)

Thanks for the suggestions all.

-gary

jttheclockman

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never made a PSI Executive, but I like the look of it.

I do a lot of Sierra styles (my kit of choice is the Mesa from WoodTurningz), but I wanted to look at alternatives.

I like Cigar styles, but I'm looking for something that would be equally appealing to men and women, and a lot of women seem to think the cigar is too big (although the barrel of a Sierra is just as fat.)

Thanks for the suggestions all.

-gary

We are talking Sierra not Sierra Vista.

qquake

I personally prefer PSI's Gatsby over the Sierra styles. Very similar, but I like the "beads" at the top and bottom of the body.

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 113
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 084.JPG
    084.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 101

PapaTim

I haven't made the PSI Executive pen so I don't know how it feels but considering the recommendations from others here it would be at the top of my list. Not only does it have a good engravable area, it's available in a pencil kit and a pen/stylus combo. More options = more opportunities for more sales.

TonyL

Not that it matters much, but the bushings are the same size .420. I don't know anything about the Sierra.

panamag8or

My old school is going to be demolished and rebuilt sometime soon. I already have feelers out, to get some of the gym floor, home of several state champion teams. My plan is to make them available to alumni, also.

jimmyz

Guess I've made so many Sierra clones that, from a penmaking perspective, I would like to try something new. I like the PSI Executive but also like the Zen if going for a rollerball.

vtgaryw

I haven't pulled the trigger on a pen kit yet for this project, but I'm leaning towards the PSI Executive. I like the long body length for engraving, plus, as mentioned I can get a pencil to match (at least in the 24Kt Gold.)

One question - does it twist like a Sierra? That is, the body twists, not a top-twister?

Thanks,

Gary

Cwalker935

I haven't pulled the trigger on a pen kit yet for this project, but I'm leaning towards the PSI Executive. I like the long body length for engraving, plus, as mentioned I can get a pencil to match (at least in the 24Kt Gold.)

One question - does it twist like a Sierra? That is, the body twists, not a top-twister?

Thanks,

Gary

The top twists like a Gatsby.

Top Bottom