Best source (if any) for Sting Ray blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JMT

I've seen a small number of pens made with cast sting ray skin. Anyone know who's making these?

Also....what's a good source for cast snake skin blanks? I've made of few of those.....man they turned out really cool.

As always....thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I've seen a lot, but not sting ray skin on a pen. Seems like the skin would be too thick, being that they are a pretty large creature and illegal to hunt in many places too, but what do I know..I never caught one let alone skinned one.

JMT

Thanks guys!!! Jeff....agreed on the thickness of the skin. If I had not seen the pens online, I wouldn't have believed you could do it. I've purchased....100% legally....ray skins online....but that was for use in sword making. Not pen making. :)

PenMan1

Try an Internet search for upholstery fabrics and materials. Many motorcycle seat makers use stingray for motorcycle seats. The tanned and dried stingray skin is not as thick as you may think, as the tanners remove "stuff" from the back to make it pliable and shapeable.

You'll likely have to buy an entire skin and there is only one "button" or sting tail on each skin.

Be prepared. The last skin I bought was nearly $200.

Last edited:

JMT

Buy the skins isn't a problem...they are all over the internet....but I have non of the awesome blank-making-skills needed for actually making something I could use on a lathe!! That's why I am hoping to find someone actually making the blanks.

its_virgil

I've bought sting ray skin along with other 'exotics' from Tandy leather....the store I visit in Texas has a box of scraps and there is most always ray skin scraps. Maybe you have a similar store locally. Tandy leather may have a website.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom