Best Roller Ball pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty

I have a request for a roller ball pen, and I have never made one, YET. I was just wondering if there is a lot of difference from one to the other? Such as CSUSA, Berea.
Dusty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

As long as you don't use one with metal to metal threads, they are quite comparable. CSUSA has fancier and more expensive kits than Berea, but not always a very good plating selection. Berea generally has a good plating selection. Just be sure you don't use 24K, 10K or Upgrade Gold because none of them will last.

Which kit you use will depend a lot on the customer's preference and since you're never made one it will be hard for the customer to see how it feels. I had a customer who was pretty insistent that he wanted a Baron because he said he had small hands, but when he actually tried it out and also tried a Churchill, he bought the Churchill. I would suggest you get a Baron kit and Churchill or El Grande and make them so he/she can try them out.

Dusty

Thanks, gerryr I will take your advise and get the Baron and Churchill kits and see which he likes. I remember reading here about the metal to metal threads and I will steer clear of them.
Dusty

Brewmeister35

It really depends on your customer and whether or not they want a big or smaller pen and if the cap should post (screw on the back) or not. If smaller and posted is what they are after, then the baron is the answer. The CSU pens are a little flashier and also bigger and heavier. The jr gent and jr. statesman will post and the rest will not. I'm not big on pens that have plastic fittings because I personally think it makes them look cheap. The baron is a nice classy looking pen and simple to make and there's tons of options.

redfishsc

The Sedona. Has a very elegant feel in the hand and the round top/bottom is nice. I like the way the writing nib has "facets" on it, very unlike the Jr Gents of Craft Supplies-- that and the Sedona is a tad smaller.

Here is a pic of a Sedona in "Blanco Nero" trustone. This one is a fountain pen but it looks the same as the rollerball (well, until you remove the cap, lol).

blanco_sedona_fp.jpg

Rifleman1776

I'm a big fan of the Jr. Gent. II. Fits nicely in the hand and is elegant to look at. Some like the gingerbread appearance of other models but I prefer the clean and elegant appearance of the Gents. Even though I regularly pick on CS, they are my main source of pen stuff. Solid and pretty dependable company with a large selection and good service.

GoodTurns

Just started making the Jr Gents and LOVE them. Perfect fit to my hand, easy writer and enough space to show off the chosen wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Frank,

The Jr. Gent also has metal to metal on the posting threads. Not a HUGE disadvantage, but not a selling point either.

GBusardo

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Frank,

The Jr. Gent also has metal to metal on the posting threads. Not a HUGE disadvantage, but not a selling point either.

Ed, I am holding a Jr Gent in my hand and it looks to me as all the threads are black plastic.

gerryr

Actually, the Jr. Gent/Statesman/Retro and the Baron all have metal to plastic thread connection. The threads in the cap are plastic and the threads on the nib coupler are metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom