Best price on acrylic blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

My usual place to buy them is Beartooth woods, Craft supplies and Woodturningz. They all carry different colors and patterns and the prices are comparable. I've gotten some from Arizona Silhouette, but BTW has all of the ones AS does and others I like and similar prices, so I usually choose BTW.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How much acrylic have you turned?

If you buy square blanks, how many will you ruin trying to turn them?

BearToothWoods blanks are round. Craft Supplies are square, Woodturningz is either, depending on product.

Things to consider besides price. (OH, they are cheaper if you buy 250 at a time.)

jthompson1995

Oh, and don't forget that Ed (ed4copies ^^) sells really nice stuff, too. Though, unfortunatley, I have not yet gotten around to buying, nonetheless turning any from him yet. [B)][:(]

cozee

I have to recommend Ed's also. They turbn great. The ones from Woodturnings take a bit of care in turning but do yield some good looking pens. I have also gotten several through a group buy from Wood Pen Pro.

bigworm

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />How much acrylic have you turned?

If you buy square blanks, how many will you ruin trying to turn them?

BearToothWoods blanks are round. Craft Supplies are square, Woodturningz is either, depending on product.

Things to consider besides price. (OH, they are cheaper if you buy 250 at a time.)

I have turned a few. I didn't have any problems. All where square and got them from Woodcraft.

DaveM

I have just started turning pens, but I have several years of turning under my belt. I knocked the corners off of my woodcraft acrylic blanks with a large file before turning, and they made some nice pens. I used very sharp tools, and went slowly until they were fully round. Then I still went slowly!

I have to get good at acrylic pens, now. My girlfriend took one to work, and came back with an order for 25 pens in white acrylic. (Not even sure I can find this, I may have to use a pearl colored for this) I will probably use Woodturningz for the blanks.

Dave; ed4copies has real nice white acrylic. Very good to deal with and fast shipping even to Canada. I had a white one from Woodbin but is not close to Ed's. I am making a wedding pen for my god daughter. Most of the ones I found were pearl colored.
Cheers
Mike

Mikey

Price all depends on what loo you want. WoodPenPro has round blanks that are very nice and the price is right. Craft Supplies sells some types. They are not the cheapest, but they have a different look on some than anyone else's. I but some Acrylic from Berea and also resins from individuals on the board here. I've even bought some from Ed here and with the way these things are coming out, I'll be buying more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone sells them, they are all different looking, and "cheap" is up to you as they are all different and only you know the look you are going for. I say this because the ones from Ed run about $4+ after shipping IIRC but the look they have is astonishing and they are worth the cost and more.

bigworm

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />You can also make some of your own PR blanks, very inexpensive.

I want to start to do this but havn't had the time to really try. Do you have a place to make sure I have everything? Also how much does it cost to start?

mewell

Originally posted by bigworm
<br />

I want to start to do this but havn't had the time to really try. Do you have a place to make sure I have everything? Also how much does it cost to start?

Check out the Library (no pun intended [:D] ). There are articles in 2004 and 2005 that would be of interest.

Mark

Mikey

Originally posted by bigworm
<br />

That's the catch. PR blanks are inexpensive ONLY once you know what you are doing and have a basic grasp of what the mixing ratios are and colorant ratios. It can be expensive to start as you buy a gallon of PR, colorants, molds etc. Easily a $100 expense. PR casting is definately a long term money saver and not for those who only use a few blanks. If that's what you want, have someone cast them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom