Best Pencil kit????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I know I have seen alot of comments about pencils. So out of all the different kits what is the best? I know there are no good ones but I have a order for 1 . and I have warned them. That I will not guarantee the workings. So what have you had the most success with?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

None !!! When I need a pencil for an order I make a Pentel conversion instead . Every pencil kit I have ever made has gone bad , most after only a short time . The Pentels seem to last forever , my shop Pentel is still going strong after 3 years of being drop kicked across the shop many many times .

Gary Zakian

I have tried various kit pencils, and the only ones I make now are the Pentel conversions. I would not look any further than getting set up to do the pentel conversions. I have a 25+ year old pentel Pencil and it still works great. Why look anywhere else?

jimmyers

I dont have as much experence with different brands but I have to say the pencil I use everyday for more than 2 years and multiple boxes of lead is one I got with the PSI starter kit and it is still working. It is a slimline and maybe just a fluke but I love it as it was the first one I turned.

ctubbs

The pencil I carry every day also came with my PSI starter kit. It is the third pen/pencil I ever turned and it shows it. (lousy finish, over turned, name it) It has been in my pocket 2+ years and used every day. I am a construction electrician working in an industrial setting, mostly chemical plants, and this pencil sees no favors. It goes where I go and leaves it's mark. Maybe just a fluke, one of a kind. The plateing is wearing this on the top where the lead is activated from use, but it still works good. It may fail the next time I pull it out but it has served me well so far. Just mho ymmv.
Charles

RDH79

Thanks for the responces. I was checking out the tutorials on pencils and seen this Pencil Conversion, Sierra-Video Tips by Scott Hettel (2006) Has anyone tried this? It looks pretty easy for me. But i have never used that type of pencil mech. I have seen them for sale places.
Thanks
Rich H

its_virgil

The sierra conversion using the schmidt refill is easy to do. The schmidt pencil mechanism is much better than the slimline pencil mechanism. The El
grande ballpoint/pencil is a good choice and is also on closeout. The perfect fit convertible is another good choice as is the cigar pencil.

The pentel mechanism is the best of these ones mentioned and the conversion makes a really nice pencil and I try to sell those when only a pencil is wanted.. But, it is no good if a customer wants a pen and pencil set. For sets, I go to the perfect fit, the jr gent ballponit and pencil or the el Grande ballpoint/pencil. I really hate that the jr gent ballpoint and the el grande ballpoint are on closeout. I hope they are not being disconitnued I don't sell a lot of pencils but like to keep a couple handy for when someone wants a set.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks for the responces. I was checking out the tutorials on pencils and seen this Pencil Conversion, Sierra-Video Tips by Scott Hettel (2006) Has anyone tried this? It looks pretty easy for me. But i have never used that type of pencil mech. I have seen them for sale places.
Thanks
Rich H

DurocShark

The only downside to the Pentel is lack of different plating options. So you have to make your own, or cover 'em if you want something other than chrome.

Here's an example of a cover I did. Actually it's the only one I've taken to completion. I'm too picky/impatient/easily frustrated. Take your pick. ;)

http://donimages.com/wood/images/pith01.jpg

Mark

I have a Wall St pencil that I keep at work for use on a daily basis. It was extremely easy to assemble. Gone on a year with no problems....

jskeen

The schmidt pencil mechanism is very dependable once fitted to a particular kit. In theory it will work with any pen taking a parker style refill, but in my experience each one is a little different and may require a little adjusting to a particular pen. However, once it works in that pen once, I've never had one fail later.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Me neither

I use an old fashioned wood pencil when I need one.
My customers won't pay me $50 for a yellow #2.

I won't either...or even $15.00 for a mechanical slimline. I do admit the I had a cross pencil that worked well until I lost it (actually I think one of my many daughters stole it and lost it for me.)

dhammis

I've made quite a few of the PSI slim pencils and haven't had any issues. I shoot pool in a league and use one for taking score that stays in my cue case. I put a friction finish on it and it sees a lot of hands during the course of a night, so you can certainly see the dirt, but the mechanics work very nicely.

toolcrazy

The schmidt pencil mechanism is very dependable once fitted to a particular kit. In theory it will work with any pen taking a parker style refill, but in my experience each one is a little different and may require a little adjusting to a particular pen. However, once it works in that pen once, I've never had one fail later.

I have used the Schmidt conversion and it is a nice insert. I usually convert a Perfect Fit when customers wants a matching set.

corian king

Hello Butch!! I don't do many pencil kits and the ones I have done were the slimlines and I have never had any problems with them.But I would like to know more about the pentel conversion and where to get it.I have never heard of it before.
Thanks in advance Sir!
JIM

ldb2000

Hello Butch!! I don't do many pencil kits and the ones I have done were the slimlines and I have never had any problems with them.But I would like to know more about the pentel conversion and where to get it.I have never heard of it before.
Thanks in advance Sir!
JIM

The post just after yours is the man to speak to , I bought my mandrel and step drill bit from John a while back . The two most important things are the step drill and the mandrel . I did my first few with regular drills from both sides of the blank but the step drill makes it so much easier and much more accurate . As for the turning , a mandrel is the best way but I used my collet chuck and calipers and freehanded the first few . I tend to make mine a little thicker then the stock Pentel so the bushings help speed things up , especially at the the tip where the lead comes out .

Top Bottom