Best Pencil Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

simplepens

My wife keeps hounding me for a pencil. The last time I made one from a Woodcraft kit. It keeps binding and the lead ends up shattered. She doesn't like a real thick pen/pencil. I usually use a slimline kit and leave a little more thickness in the bottom for her.

I was looking in CSUSA catalog....what is the best pencil kit guys??? Help me!!! Stop her nagging!!!

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arehrlich

You might want to try the Berea Perfect Fit Convertible. It is a pen that easily converts to a pencil.

It's pretty easy to make, has great balance, and shows of the wood quite well.

Just my two cents.

Alan

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Take a look at the modification I did on the Schmidt mechanism to make the Atlas pen a pencil... it works real nice if you follow the directions. It is near the bottom of this page
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Instructions.htm

nilsatcraft

I've honestly only done a few pencils but the one I like best is the Jr. Gents Pencil. It has twist operation and is a really comfortable fit. I don't know if it's too big for your wife's liking but it seems that a lot of women like the size of the Jr. Gents series. Here is one that I made not too long ago and it's the only pencil I use. Good luck in the search, Griz.

2005519152857_DSCF2297_JPG.jpg

Tom I was looking at your conversion of the Atlas to a pencil the other day and was wondering ....how do you make the lead come out if all you're doing is cut off that nib? I must be missing something

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike, cutting off that nib still allows the mechanism to press down on the remainder and the lead comes out... this type of mechanism is not a twist mechanisma... it is a press mechanism.. when you twist the top of the Atlas pen the mechanism presses down on the pencil mechanism and the lead comes out.. you have to twist the cap back to the original position or the lead will retract.. just like the Perfect Fit Convertable...
So basically all you are doing it making the pencil mechanism short enough to work in the Atlas pen mechanism...
About 50% of the Cigar pens that I make can also be used with this mechanism as is.. but if it is tight or binds, then all you need to do is fine tune the length slightly to get them to work in a Cigar kit also.. but there is no hard and fast length.. it is trial and error.. so go real lightly if you trim the tops for a Cigar kit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom