Best Pen as XMas Gift?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhelminski

With the holiday season coming on quickly I want to get started making gift pens. What pen have you folks found as the most well received gift and how do you present them, meaning in what type of cases, box, leather pouch, etc.?

-Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I've given several different kinds as gifts to family members and every one of them was very well received. That being said, if I were doing it now, I would probably use both cigar and slimline kits or maybe only slimlines since you can do a lot to customize a slimline. The main thing with a gift is that you made it. Just use a good plating, like chrome or Ti and do your best. I used wretched plastic boxes last year because I didn't know any better at the time. Ernie at Beartooth Woods has some nice boxes that only $2.25 each. But, aside from being something to put the pen in so you can wrap it, it doesn't have much use. A velvet drawstring bag might be more useful, except for men who tend to carry pens in their shirt pocket.

Rudy Vey

In my opinion, the Baron (or CSUSA's Gent Jr), as well as the Perfect Fit Convertable make very nice presents. For the best presentation I use the boxes from Arizona Silhouette (the ones that have the fitted inserts available for a number of different pen styles). Or make a pen box yourself.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I believe this is a question where"it's not the gift but the thought that counts"
Since I make my own blanks I like to think of what the recipient would like.
Hunters like antler/ bullet pens.
Woodworkers like the power point pencil
Women usually like smaller pens than men though I have a relative who is not a hunter but wants a modified slimline antler pen.
I don't think the type of kit is all that important, I wouldn't buy an expensive kit just to impress the recipinet.
I may make one for sale so someone else can do that but not for a gift I would make.
The selection of woods might be a consideration. Local woods or even a pen made from a trimming or anything from the recipiencts property.
the ideas are endless.
The story behind the pen sometimes makes it the best gift.

jeffj13

The first thing I would ask is "what type of pen does the person like and use now? I want to give a gift that the person would use. For example, I wouldn't give a fountain pen to someone who didn't write with one already or didn't express an interest in owning one (Note: Most lefthanders do not like fountain pens.)

That being said, I have sold a few pens and the Cigar pen seems to be the most popular. I have also given several Cigar pens as gifts and they have been well received.

I typcally use the black cardboard boxes with the white sleeve to present the pen. The wooden boxes would make a nicer presentation, but I haven't met anyone yet the keeps a pen in its box, so it seems like a waste of money to me. I would rather put that money into a nicer kit.

jeff

Skye

Also:

Do they use pencils or pens?

Do they have small hands or large?

Do they feel like a wood or acrylic person?

Do they have favorite colors?

Do they have arthritis or not?

Do they have a favorite sports team (colors)?

chigdon

I agree with Rudy that the Baron (or CSUSA's Gent Jr) is the way to go. It is a size and style that looks expensive but a size that is comfortable for most people, men and women. Look at the wood as a way to personalize it for each person.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Skye
<br />Also:

Do they use pencils or pens?

Do they have small hands or large?

Do they feel like a wood or acrylic person?

Do they have favorite colors?

Do they have arthritis or not?

Do they have a favorite sports team (colors)?

Do their caregivers allow them to use anything sharp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom