Best pen kit for an anniversary present?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

My wife's friend wants some nice pens for her 30th anniversary.

So i am looking to make the best pens I can.

I know she wants a fountain pen, a gel roller ball pen, and some traditional cross and parker pens.

I just turned a traditional fountain pen, and it's a piece of #$%^&

So I'm looking for you guys to steer me in the right direction...

The cross and parker pens are no problem... but the roller ball and fountain pens are the question... which kits would be worthy of an anniversary present? I've been looking at these...

Your thoughts?

Majestic
Olympian
Apollo
Tycoon
Classic & Classic Elite

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Out of those I pick Majestic because I have no idea what the others are. Is it the kit or the blank that is going to make the difference. To me make a fantastic blank and any kit will do.

mikeschn

I meant to type Majestic Jr.

She likes purple blanks and black blanks for him. So with the blanks nailed down, I just need to work on the kits...

Is one better than the other, or is it all differences in decoration?

Mike...

KenV

Mike, I see you have a PSI catalog..

You might want to consider pen size and hand size. The Magestic is a,big pen, and the similar but smaller Magestic Jr may be a better choice for smaller hands.

Other than PSI, I like the Aaron and George pens as having nice lines.

The blank makes the pen,so shop around

WriteON

Majestic Jr. and Nouveau Sceptre are beautiful pens, What hobby's does she have?
PSI has some really nice novel kits

Last edited:

magpens

Mike...

That's not saying very much when you don't identify the kit.

As for your listed pen kits .... they are all PSI products and don't appeal to me.

One suggestion made by another is a Jr Aaron ... very nice choice

Also consider the Jr Emperor which is extremely nice, IMHO, and easy to make. You can have it in a rollerball or a fountain.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My wife's friend wants some nice pens for her 30th anniversary.

So i am looking to make the best pens I can.

I know she wants a fountain pen, a gel roller ball pen, and some traditional cross and parker pens.

So I'm looking for you guys to steer me in the right direction...

The cross and parker pens are no problem... but the roller ball and fountain pens are the question... which kits would be worthy of an anniversary present? I've been looking at these...

Your thoughts?

Majestic
Olympian
Apollo
Tycoon
Classic & Classic Elite

Mike...
Edited out - thought I was sending a PM

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Mike...

That's not saying very much when you don't identify the kit.

As for your listed pen kits .... they are all PSI products and don't appeal to me.

One suggestion made by another is a Jr Aaron ... very nice choice

Also consider the Jr Emperor which is extremely nice, IMHO, and easy to make. You can have it in a rollerball or a fountain.
I think he meant the PSI Traditional kit which is/was available as a fountain pen or roller ball. Low priced kit.

mikeschn

What an interesting twist... said customer would also like an Elegant American, but in an 7mm tube size. She especially liked the center ring of the Elegant American.

Obviously no such animal exists... that I know of... so what can I do? I can make a comfort/trimline/tec-7 type pen, but where can I get a 7mm Elegant American center ring? (That center ring would actually be about 10.8mm OD., like the comfort pen center ring )

Can anyone here make me a center ring?

Mike...

jttheclockman

What an interesting twist... said customer would also like an Elegant American, but in an 7mm tube size. She especially liked the center ring of the Elegant American.

Obviously no such animal exists... that I know of... so what can I do? I can make a comfort/trimline/tec-7 type pen, but where can I get a 7mm Elegant American center ring? (That center ring would actually be about 10.8mm OD., like the comfort pen center ring )

Mike...

Not sure what you are showing your client but if i were you I would ask her to pick from the kits you have or use and not to make things up. In the long run you will never make any money like that. You can not please everyone. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Mike...
Why is she hung up on the 7mm tubes? Parker type refills are available with what a lot of folks think have much better writing qualities than the Cross refills used in 7mm kits.

mikeschn

Mike...
Why is she hung up on the 7mm tubes? Parker type refills are available with what a lot of folks think have much better writing qualities than the Cross refills used in 7mm kits.

Smitty,

Yes, I know... but she has very small hands, and she says even the 8mm kits are too big. So she has pretty much limited herself... And if no one can make center bands

Mike...

Jim Smith

Consider using one of the Mother of Pearl blanks as Pearl is the traditional gift for the 30th Wedding Anniversary. Just a thougt...

Jim Smith

mikeschn

Okay, so I got the anniversary pens made, sans engraving...

Simple, but I think they turned out pretty nice...

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_5281a.JPG
    IMG_5281a.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 151
Top Bottom