Best Live Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

As the title says...what is the best available live center?

800watt on ebay has a hardened/ground precision live center with like .000363 tolerances or something like that which I don't believe for a second, but in your opinion which one is the best?

The one from PTP? PSI? CSUSA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

The one from Johnny CNC, it is a solid non removing point. I love the ones with removable points, but if the points are easily removed with a magnet, they have crap tolerences because they can move side to side inside the hole in the center, even though it's barely able to move, we all know a hair to the side amplifies over distance. It's important that the point is solid and not hollow inside.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
As the title says...what is the best available live center?

800watt on ebay has a hardened/ground precision live center with like .000363 tolerances or something like that which I don't believe for a second, but in your opinion which one is the best?

The one from PTP? PSI? CSUSA?
Hi Justin; I can't vouch for this one being the best live centre out there, since it's the only one I've ever used.

http://www.oneway.ca/spindle/live_center.htm

I do know it is very good quality. When you are on the page take note of the pen turning point that is an extra.

jleiwig

Hi Justin; I can't vouch for this one being the best live centre out there, since it's the only one I've ever used.

I do know it is very good quality. When you are on the page take note of the pen turning point that is an extra.

Damn that's expensive. I'm not sure the quality/price is therre considering I can get a .0001 Bison super precision hardened/ground live center from Enco for less than $100.

Chuck Key

I like this slimline. Does not get in the way while turning.

110404-img.jpg

lorbay

Live Centre

Well I have about 4 on them and I would say that this is the best, not because I am from Canada, but there are so many things you can do with this one. 1 of them being you can mount 2 chucks at the same time, 1 in the tail stock and 1 in the head stock.

Lin.

Texatdurango

Justin, I think I have either 3 or 4 live centers and am not happy with any of them since spending some time with a friend recently who had the One Way center! This thing is so quiet you can't even tell it's turning and no play whatsoever in it.

When I finally get fed up with the $20 - $30 imported junkers I have now, I too will have the One Way! I'm just too cheap to toss 'em in the trash. :)

GaryMadore

I have no idea how good is "good enough" nor what your criteria for the "best" are, but the one I got from John (johnnycnc) is great.

It goes round and round;
It has a point;
It doesn't wobble;
It doesn't wiggle;
It's hardened;
Its MT fits my lathe;
Its 60* point fits my my custom-made bushings; and
It was inexpensive...

These would be the critera for the "best" live centre for me, so John's gets my nod.

Cheers!

Gary

bitshird

Here is probably one of the finest money can buy:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1651638&PMT4NO=76458853

I am sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

John, how about that center is n a Haas SL30 lathe. Enco has a CNC center for around 100 bucks, but that Royal is as good as it gets, and for 600 + it should be. I honestly don't think that degree of accuracy is warranted for pen turning though is it??
I think the one you sell is more than adequate for wood turning, although that Oneway system is pretty darned nice for a hundred bucks.

johnnycnc

John, how about that center is n a Haas SL30 lathe. Enco has a CNC center for around 100 bucks, but that Royal is as good as it gets, and for 600 + it should be. I honestly don't think that degree of accuracy is warranted for pen turning though is it??
I think the one you sell is more than adequate for wood turning, although that Oneway system is pretty darned nice for a hundred bucks.

Ken, I don't know.. we have Okuma (LU and Captain) lathes at work.
I'm sure the center I linked to is overkill to the nth degree, but Justin
asked for the best, and that's the best I could find!:)
I just love mine!:biggrin:

Len Shreck

I bought one from Grizzly and I think it works fine and it wasnt priced bad I think I paid like 20.00 for it but I dont remember. Check their site Grizzly.com and take a look. I have heard from a lot of people that Johnny has very good ones.

jleiwig

I bought one from Grizzly and I think it works fine and it wasnt priced bad I think I paid like 20.00 for it but I dont remember. Check their site Grizzly.com and take a look. I have heard from a lot of people that Johnny has very good ones.

I had one from Grizzly before and it was nice, but I don't think it was what I'm looking for. The type that George and Johnny posted are the type I think I may go with.

I got my live center set from Woodcraft... it has interchange able points so I can use whatever I need for the job at hand... I think it was just over $60 but was on sale at about 10% off regular price.... It was a gift from the step-son (He's a good kid like that... everyone needs a couple of boys like mine.... they both make sure Daddy has all the toys he needs to play with) so it cost me nothing...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2003727/2003727.aspx

Top Bottom