Best kit for Segmented pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DLGunn

I am about to attempt my first segmented pen. But I need to order a nice kit for it. All I have now are slimline kits. I want something bigger that would show off the wood better. What do you guys like with segmented pens? The woods I using (in order around the blank) are maple, bocote, maple again, and cocobolo. I am leaning toward a 2-tone cigar, gold & chrome. If anyone has any better suggestions, let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Just remember that depending on what saw you use to slice it, you can lose a lot of the blank. So you are going to need long blanks or a short kit

thewishman

I like the Gent and the Jr. Gent for complicated blanks. They are plain and allow the material to get the attention.

Sierras are very good for starting out. Only need one blanks, so you won't have to have the added complication of trying to match up a top and a bottom blank.

jppensplus

I think you can make a great-looking segmented pen on any kit you may choose. As noted by thewishman, the kit needs to be somewhat plain--you'll want the segmenting to be the focus, not the hardware of the kit---take a look at Barry Gross's workbook on pen-making---there are some great examples in there.

AKPenTurner

The only segmented pens I've turned have been on Cigar kits. They look pretty nice.
I haven't turned any, but the Gents seem to make some of the nicest segmented pens.

Top Bottom