Best "Generic" Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bikerdad

I'm thinking of building a comparative collection of pens. Each pen a different kit and plating, but all using the same blank. My goal is to be able to really get a sense of the look of different kits without the blank distracting.

So what blank, or perhaps a few blanks, would go with everything?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Black or white acrylic. This shows off the hardware, not the material, which is what I am reading you say you want to do (what I read may not be what you meant to write)

thawkins87

I would agree - solid, plain colored acrylic of some kind. Eliminate the wood grain variable if you want uniformity for comparison of kits.

Although, if you just want to see pictures I believe PSI has the "customize" tool that will show you a picture of the pen in specific blank colors, etc. But it sounds like you're looking for something more concrete.

Last edited:

More4dan

You could have someone make you a "green screen" colored blank and you could then Photoshop all kinds of alternatives of kits and blanks. :)

I also think a solid Black acrylic will likely be a good bet for showing off hardware.

JimB

Just my opinion but I don't think this will work well. Some platings look better with certain wood or acrylics. No matter what color blank you choose some platings will look better than others because of the color of the blank. Change the color of the blank and the platings that look better will change as well. This holds true even for solid color blanks.

Bikerdad

Ed nailed my intent, show off the hardware. And Jim has highlighted the potential problem with different platings, which is why I'm open to a FEW different options. Still, other than perhaps some of the rose copper / copper, and black enamel (which I don't like anyway, so probably won't have many/any), what doesn't go well with black? Like I said, open to doing a few in order to capture the outliers.

I think a solid black blank would be your best bet. And yeah, buy them from Ed! I will say this about black acrylic: as you may already know, it shows EVERYTHING! Even the tiniest of scratches or imperfections seem to stick out like a fat lip.

CaptainJane

patriotic

An idea might be a red, white, and blue blank such as Exotic's Kirinite Patriot. This blank and color scheme looks great with gold, brass, chrome, gunmetal, black - anything. The Kirinite has great depth and pearly-ness, is easy to turn, AND affordable.

JPW062

I agree with JimB.
White or black might be best, but some kits will look much better with one than the other.

Top Bottom