Best double stick tape

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I ran out of double stick tape and I can not remember the brand since I purchased from a member here on IAP. I ordered some from Amazon, but it's about as sticky as a Post-It-Note. What is the best brand/supplier for good strong double stick tape. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

All I can add is that there are two basic "levels" of tape. One roll costs about $20 and the other (turning tape) costs about $40. I think Woodcraft sells the $40 tape. The former is used when you don't need to hold something super tight and the latter is used, for instance, to hold wood to a face plate when turning a platter or bowl and you DON'T want the wood to fly off the lathe!

Rockytime

Bron tape from hell! At least that is what the Bron salesman told me. I use it to attach metal pieces to a lathe face plate and adhering things on the mill table. It is very thin.

Attachments

• 1-1-20170428_162854.jpg
    1-1-20170428_162854.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 148

SteveG

Some are suggesting tape that is designed and sold for the exact purpose: on your lathe. Others are fond of some other tape, which if you find a good one, may work well for you. I will just suggest that you pay attention to something if you experiment with tape that is other than the stuff designed and sold for the faceplate mounting. Some of the tape products are fairly thick and (to use a highly technical term) gooey. These type of tapes will hold quite strongly, but because of the thickness of the adhesive they may allow the work to gradually shift. It will still be stuck well to the faceplate, but can drift off-center a little. That can ruin your project, or at least cause it to end up just a little different rom what you intend. Food for thought...

tbfoto

I use Shurtape Indoor/Outdoor carpet tape, available at Lowes. Works well for me.

I also use Shurtape brand. I think I use the Shurtape D545. I think I got my roll at Lowe's. I like it. It holds well. You just have to be smart. It's tape after all. Don't go mounting a 10lb chunk of wood on a faceplate with no tail stock in place and expect it to hold. No tape will.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom