The best click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rickycan

Hi!
I would like to know what is, in your personal opinion, the best click pen kit.
I think that it must be smooth an durable in use,
Regards
Ricky

keithlong

I second the long click pen, I made one for my wife to use at her work place. She is a receptionist for a very busy vet clinic, and she has been using this pen every day for about 6 months now and has replaced the refill twice and this pen just keeps on clicking. And it is a great pen to show off a nice piece of wood.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good question....there are a number of kits now using click mechanisms now that I think will rival the long click in durability and reliability--and they are even better looking....I do think the long clicker is a great pen to make from a really nice wood blank though, it really shows off the wood.

Available at CSUSA
IMG_6164.JPG

IMG_7027.JPG

Tim'sTurnings

I looked at exotic blanks but there is no picture so I didn't know if it was the pen kit that was discussed here, so I didn't include that vendor. I wouldn't buy something if I couldn't see what it looked like.

SteveG

Has anyone experienced a problem with the CSUSA long clicker where the plunger will simply not want to be pushed in? It feels like it wants to "catch" on something in the mechanism. I can fiddle with it and it will then behave OK, but will later randomly repeat the problem. Same problem on more than one, but not all I have made. I do use the little sleeve during assembly. I am surprised at my experience since there is wide spread positive comments on this particular component set.

Has anyone experienced a problem with the CSUSA long clicker where the plunger will simply not want to be pushed in? It feels like it wants to "catch" on something in the mechanism. I can fiddle with it and it will then behave OK, but will later randomly repeat the problem. Same problem on more than one, but not all I have made. I do use the little sleeve during assembly. I am surprised at my experience since there is wide spread positive comments on this particular component set.

I have had this problem also on 1 or 2. Dunno what to do about it.

el_d

The only problem I have had with the long click is due to the refill. It does catch and feel "stuck".

Sometimes there is residual "flash" on the plastic end of the refill. or the 'Label"( on some refills) will peel off and catch also. I usually upgrade the refill and have had no Problems since then (IIRC).

crabcreekind

I have had this problem also on 1 or 2. Dunno what to do about it.

ooooooooooo I know this problem... The spring is slightly tapered. You have to turn it so the smaller end is going onto the refill first, this provides a tighter fit for the refill, and eliminates the catching feeling.

crabcreekind

If you have the skill, you can make kitless click pens. The mechanism for them is unbeatable. It is smooth, soft, and quiet. Nothing beats it!

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi!
I would like to know what is, in your personal opinion, the best click pen kit.
I think that it must be smooth an durable in use,
Regards
Ricky

Ricky: I don't know your skill level but, if it's kitless, R. Greenwald has a "quality" click mechanism in the 5 - 6 dollar range that's as slick as scum on a "Loooosianna" Swamp. If u'r not n2 kitless, don't metswiffit! :wink:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
that's the refill though, not necessarily the fault of the components. Try it with one of the easyflow 9000 refills and see how it performs for you
Or about any other 1st class refill.
Some of the kits spend a long time on the shelf before they get pulled and the refills do tend to get balky --- I have found though that if you persist and get them writing correctly they are usually ok after that.

jnette

I like he Long lick a lot but when the refill is in the writing position the top of the pen is lose and rattles when you write. Is their an adjustment I can make to stop this?

RosezPenZ

The long click is about the only one I have not tried. I've been making the PSI slimline pro and their Power pen for about 5yrs and I've lost track how many. Most of them are used in the health field. I've had very few problems and nearly all of them I've been able to fix. Personally I did not like the Vertex click, click at all, it's to soft.
Best one so far hands down for me is the new Bolt Action click from PSI. Problem is it does not have a track record yet.

That's my nickels worth.

cwolfs69

by far the best in my opinion is the cigar click from PSI. it is a little big for some hands being cigar style, but by far the smoothest click action in my opinion and have sold about 50 so far with no complaints from customers. i carry one, my wife has two and love them.

greggas

Crab reek is right on about the spring.
Another issue, which I had in one case, was debris (glue or left over dental wax ) that I forgot to remove for inside the tube. Other than that , I hae sold about 200 long clicks and have never had an issue

SteveG

Quoting myself, I bring up this same issue AGAIN today. Same hang up. Looked at it a little closer: the problem is the click mechanism itself, not any of the already mentioned causes/remedies. I am surprized no one else is reporting this 'cause my failure rate is high...maybe 40% or so. I like the pen so have decided to do a testing of each mechanism prior to installing. Is there really no one else getting these failures?
Steve

JD Combs Sr

Quoting myself, I bring up this same issue AGAIN today. Same hang up. Looked at it a little closer: the problem is the click mechanism itself, not any of the already mentioned causes/remedies. I am surprized no one else is reporting this 'cause my failure rate is high...maybe 40% or so. I like the pen so have decided to do a testing of each mechanism prior to installing. Is there really no one else getting these failures?
Steve

Steve, perhaps there is a processing problem. Most clickers are very sensitive to barrel length. Make sure you aren't over trimming your barrel.

ossaguy

I can relate........I have experienced this same thing,and have tried all the tips I've read,and it's just not consistant.

It's typical that I can grab one of the pen stand,and click it.......and it jams momentarily.If I flick the plunger with my thumb it kinda corrects itself.........then will work fine for like 25 more clicks.

Next day I try it....OK

Next day.....gets stuck again.Pretty frustrating.It's ok for my own personal use,but I am afraid of ever selling any from the batch that I have made.I just wish they could make it feel less clunky in the action.

It bugs me that they can make smooth-acting,trouble free Bic-type disposable pens,but in expensive kits they feel cheap.

Hoping to find a solution someday!

Steve
San Diego

Last edited:

SteveG

JD Combs Sr;1417914Steve said:
Thanks for the feedback JD. As I have tried to deal with the issue, I have been checking tube length comparison with my DC. (Out of the bag and when ready to assemble the pen.) So I know I am not altering the length. Thus still looking for a solution. I have a partial solution now: If I hold the bare clicker mechanism in my hand, insert the refill and hold it in place I can click it and actually feel a roughness in the operation (compared to other mechanisms of the same type). This at least gives me a clue that one MIGHT be a problem. I have about 10 kits on hand and am going to do the comparison test on all of them next week upon return to my home base and shop. Still looking for inputs from any other turners having this same problem.
Thanks to all.
Steve

Fatdawg

The Long Click and PSI Vertex click are the two clicker I currenty use. I like them both about the same. I currently have three Areo Clicks out being tested. So far my testers like them. Two being used by nurses and one by my accountant.

crabcreekind

I can relate........I have experienced this same thing,and have tried all the tips I've read,and it's just not consistant.

It's typical that I can grab one of the pen stand,and click it.......and it jams momentarily.If I flick the plunger with my thumb it kinda corrects itself.........then will work fine for like 25 more clicks.

Next day I try it....OK

Next day.....gets stuck again.Pretty frustrating.It's ok for my own personal use,but I am afraid of ever selling any from the batch that I have made.I just wish they could make it feel less clunky in the action.

It bugs me that they can make smooth-acting,trouble free Bic-type disposable pens,but in expensive kits they feel cheap.

Steve
San Diego

This is due to the spring being on the wrong way. You have to put the smaller part of the spring on first on the refill. I dont know why it gets caught. but it happens. I discovered this having the exact problem you have.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Next day I try it....OK

Steve
San Diego

This is due to the spring being on the wrong way. You have to put the smaller part of the spring on first on the refill. I dont know why it gets caught. but it happens. I discovered this having the exact problem you have.
Ya know what is strange about that is that on Sierra and Gatsby Twist pens I've found just the opposite....I always put the big end on the refill to keep them from catching.

Culprit

If I hold the bare clicker mechanism in my hand, insert the refill and hold it in place I can click it and actually feel a roughness in the operation (compared to other mechanisms of the same type). This at least gives me a clue that one MIGHT be a problem... Still looking for inputs from any other turners having this same problem.
Steve

I'm fairly new and haven't made a ton of pens yet, but I have run across this problem. I lubricate the action and the end of the refill with Johnson's Original Formula Paste Floorwax, and the actions smooth right up.

Carl Fisher

I use a long click every day and couldn't be happier. We also sell quite a few vertex clicks and so far have not had any complaints.

Regarding flipping the spring on the refill, I've had to do that on occasion even with twist style pens to get the transmission to behave.

Top Bottom